I cant be the only one........

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyf

That has gotten in trouble for taking a kitchen "tool" to the garage and used on the car:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Im cutting up some seat foam, and I needed a bread knife (they cut foam like a champ![;))

I got busted on my way back in the house:cool:

I used a canning rubber grip thing to put around a shock to keep it from spinning with vice grips while trying to take off the top nut ..worked like a charm but the vice grips left marks on the gripper so i just put it in the tool box ...Hopefully she doesn't need that anytime soon so I can get another one before she notices

I have to be careful... Mrs Tripper makes regular sweeps of the garage to look for her implements I've swiped from the cook's area! [ddd:eek::eek:[ddd

BoB

Had some black powdercoat powder that had clumped up some. I got tired of mashig it by hand. Took the blinder and in seconds, it was powder again. Washed it really well. Wife made margarittas,,, all I hear "what are these tiny black specs?" :eek: BUSTED

One of those giant forks can be skillfully shaped into a nut wrench for an angle grinder. No deposit, no return. :D

webpage-_commercial_carving_set_NBL.jpg

Not only for taking kitchen stuff into the garage, but also for bringing garage stuff into the kitchen. It's an old trick to throw a cam into the freezer for a few hours (or over night) to shrink it enough to slide the new gear on...

or bring the crank gear to a mild simmer in a pot of water to expand it enough to slip right on with no banging. Remember: using a hammer on a crank is always a bad idea...

one time I wasn't sure if a thermostat was operating properly (and the nearest parts store is a drive away from here) so I put it in a pot of water on the stove and stuck the candy thermometer in it to see if it would open at 180. She walks in right in the middle of the experiment, "What are you doing?".
"Making Soup."
"Uh huh."

Then there was the time a buddy & I needed something to pour the leftover aluminum into after casting a new carb base plate for my '56 Ford. If you look on the table just behind the piece of railroad track, you'll see a few perfectly shaped cupcake ingots that we'd remelt for these consecutive pours. That did not go over welll since it destroyed the cupcake tin in the process.
forge04.jpg

That has gotten in trouble for taking a kitchen "tool" to the garage and used on the car:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Im cutting up some seat foam, and I needed a bread knife (they cut foam like a champ![;))

I got busted on my way back in the house:cool:

Done the same thing with the electric carver...it's best to put those projects on hold until she is gone for a few hours, then send the kids out for ice cream(no witnesses, and make sure you put it back JUST like she had it becuase she knows how it was before..your phone camera works good for such.. learned that as an officer!;))

All you guys aught to be ashamed of yourselves :eek:
I've never done anything like that :rolleyes:
Well except for taking her brand new, never used, still in the wrapper, colander and cutting the stainless screen out of it for a project :p

Hmmm.. I'm single and still can't think of an instance where I use kitchen tools in the shop, maybe a small funnel. But my kitchen does have shop stuff all the time. I have a counter where I lay stuff that needs to go back to the shop. I had a 4 bbl. Motocraft carb laying on the kitchen counter for about a month, brought it in to run the numbers on the computer.

When I was married I was always in hot water for taking some kitchen utensil into the garage. I don't think we had one butter knife that had a straight tip on it because they make great screwdrivers. :D

When my Sons were born we started off with 8 dozen cloth diapers, but I found out they made great polishing rags and pretty soon I was catching heat because the supply was dwindling down drastically. :eek:

But some guys get away with it. A buddy of mine built his entire chopper in the living room.:eek:

Don

Turkey baster works mint for draining the master cylinder of old fluid when you want to do a flush...;) Works pretty good for power steering fluid, too, just DON'T mix 'em up or you'll end up with blown seals in the brake system. They don't like petroleum based products.:(

Dollar store is a great cheap place to buy this crap if you don't want the warden whizzed off at you.;)

Regards,
Shea:)

2 kitchen items that work great,,,,, but buy them for shop use only.

Crock pot, found at ay garage sale or thrift store. Fill with carb cleaner and boil the carbs out (it doest actually boil). Or with degreaser and it will come out like new. The heat with the chemicals really strips them down.

Your dishwasher that leaked so you had to buy a new one? Hook a hose to it in the yard, add detergent, add greasy parts,,,,,, drink a beer till your dishwasher is done. Your will crap yourself on how clean they get.

Well I do have an old kitchen stove I use for powder coating. There are also 3 drawers and two cupboards in the kitchen I am not allowed to touch. Everything else is fair game.:rolleyes:

Ovens work great to bake parts clean.
Baking parts works great to make your whole house stink with a smell that lingers for days...
Lesson learned.

I still consider it a win.

the wife has gave up on me on that stuff, she just goes and buys another. a slotted spatular(spelling) made of stainless steel can make a nice blinker cover.

Latest posts

Back