I definitely need to identify this axle !!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvlifenow

I am an old newbie, (please see introduce yourself thread) and I just bought this rod but the owner is keeping the axle for his new project. Not the front suspension, just the axle and I would like to get the exact match to bolt it right back on where the fabrication already exists. He thinks it is a stock Ford or Chevy Van in the late sixtys or early seventies but is not sure. Can anyone tell me exactly what it is? I would sure like some knowledgeable help on this. Thanks

Attachments

• dodge ft.jpg
    dodge ft.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 80
  • front suspension 3.JPG
    front suspension 3.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 62
  • front suspension 4.JPG
    front suspension 4.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 62
  • front suspension 5.JPG
    front suspension 5.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 59
  • front suspension 6.JPG
    front suspension 6.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited by a moderator:
How did he talk you into that deal?:confused: Unless the rest of the car was at a giveaway price I would walk away. Let him find another axle on his own, much easier than you having to replace it, and not knowing what you have.

I've never seen a deal where the seller will only sell most of the car.

Don

Giveaway price

$350 and I already have my own rebuilt motor and rebuilt trans I have no money into them. I talked him into it. At any rate, thanks for the advice but do you know what axle it is?

Ok, you did good. :D Looks like Ford to me, by the steering arm shape, but no expert on these. I had a set of 56 Ford Pickup spindles that looked just like those. Hope someone else will know exactly.

Wasn't busting on you about the axle deal, it just seemed strange that he was trying to sell a car but was keeping some of it. :)

Don

Yeah--I'm pretty sure its an Econoline Axle.. The arm is the give away. Check the bolt pattern--5 on 4 3/4 is chevy, 5 on 4 1/2 is the Eline. 5 on 5 or 5 1/2 is Ford PU.

PA41

Thanks

Man, it is good to get some help here! Anyone else have any ideas or any other give-ways as far as Id goes. Thanks guys.

Pics 2 and 3

Okay all check your pictures before you post them. Our 17 year old girl helps in the garage once in a while and even looks at things i do here... She noticed the girl on the wall in pic 2 and 3 . Not that i am great or any of that. Just we have kids and ladys here working with us. And for me my girls help sometimes in the scrap yard for 5 and 6 hours helping get parts with out even saying a bad word about the bugs heat or anything. I say I am darn lucky guy.

But anyways looks like a nice find for a great price.

52 fordman

If the guy is real stuck on having the axle for his next project, I'd find him one and keep the car in one piece. Seems to be a lot of work for two guys to go to, for an axle that is not ideal for a rod anyway. Converted two-spring axles just shout "cheapo builder" to me! I'd find an early Ford axle that's made for a cross spring and be done with it.

Sorry about the pic within a pic

Believe it or not, I never even saw the picture within those two pictures as I had just received them and moved them on quickly and did not really study them. Sorry about that, good point. Won't happen again.

As far as the axle goes, I kind of feel the same way about the double work but I am going to keep it the same so it will just bolt back up and I don't have to do any fabricating. I always thought rat rods might even require the "cheapo" approach to even be a real rat rod rather than a regular expensive hot rod but I am a newbie so what do I know.

Latest posts

Back