I did a ratrod camper!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swanee

Before you guys get all excited this is a female version of a ratrod camper. I was going to do this for my husband so he could take it to weekend swap meets and car shows and not have to stay in a hotel. Unfortunately the floor to ceiling height of the camper I bought is 6'1 and hubby is 6'4 so it wasn't exactly comfortable for him and he told me just to fix it up for myself. I had a vision of what I wanted it to look like and I hired a 21 year old artist to paint it for me. He did a great job. It's all hand painted. He used rustoleum oil paint, sand and sawdust to replicate rust and it's held up very well. My whitewalls are also painted! Lol! Real white walls were too expensive and the painted ones have held up fine . Actually it kind of goes well with the whole theme. I call her The Rusty Ritz. I've always loved old rusty cars so this was a lot of fun for me. Now I need a rusty truck to pull her with!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 249
Amazing job. Can you post some more details? My next project is supposed to be a vintage trailer and this is really cool! In fact the colors would match the colored portions of my truck. My wife insists that there be a toilet (indoors). May be hard to find on the smaller units. I am thinking 16' max.

What make and year is your trailer? Size?
Do you have some more exterior pics? How about interior pics?

Have others on this forum done anything like this?

Way cool!

John L.

Ratrod camper

It's a 1972 Lark and it's 14 feet long. I completely gutted the inside. You'll be surprised at how much room you have in a camper if you take the upper cabinets down. I used regular furniture in the trailer . There's a twin sized bed with a headboard , a small dresser, and a table that doubles as a counter space as well as a storage space as it opens on the top. The only thing I left in the camper was the front built in sofa because I use it as an additional bed when I take a friend with me camping. I have storage every where. There's storage under the bed, under the sofa, in the dresser, in the table, and on the wall.
You mentioned your wife insists on a bathroom. Is because of the toilet or the shower or both? As far as showing goes if you go to decent campgrounds they generally have good showers. If its the toilet issue you can use a lugable loo in your camper. It's only about 20 bucks and you can use cat litter in a garbage bag then add more on top after your done. No smell and you throw the garbage bag away in the a.m. Plus , most people only use the camper toilet at night and use the campground facilities in the daytime anyway.
My camper had a toilet and I intentionally took it out. The toilet closet was so tiny I couldn't stand up in it without hitting the wall. I'm only 5'5 so there no way a man could use it so I decided it was completely useless and tore it out. I use a lugable loo myself. I belong to a camping group and we all use them. It's a lot less trouble than dealing with the nasty blackwater dumping issues.
Oh and by the way, I forgot to say all of my furniture is bolted to the floor so there no movement going down the road.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 114
Ratrod camper

I made this table using a metal frame , some old wood, some Mdf board and a lot of old yardsticks. The table opens on the top and I keep my plates, cups, and dry goods inside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 126
You gotta give us the full tour with pictures! That table is cool - so is the bucket. ....and the bed....

Ratrod camper

Sam_Fear, here a couple more inside
Pictures for you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 105
Ratrod camper

Here's a cole of more inside pictures. All of the interior wood is new. I used glaze on the walls and the ceiling to create the water stained look.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 66
Ratrod camper

I used glaze on the ceiling and the walls to create a water damaged look. All of the wood was stained with regular stain before the glaze was added.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 99
Ratrod camper

Lol! Yeah, several people thought I was nuts for making all that new wood look like it was leaking but it just adds to the whole theme.

Outstanding

I never really liked most of those 70's campers.:eek: I have now changed my mind.:) Hope you enjoy it even more when you have a rusty truck to pull it. Great job!

Steve

Latest posts

Back