I hate harmonic balancers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMBishop

I'm trying to remove balancer from a sb chevy, it appears that the washer that holds the balancer is stuck making it impossible to use the puller I have to remove the balancer. Does anyone have any tricks to solve this problem?

Someone used the wrong size washer, cuz it's supposed to be against the outside of the balancer. But that doen't answer your question does it? Try putting some heat, just alittle, on the washer. Then let it cool and try to pry out the washer. If that doesn't work you may have to "melt the washer, burn it out. I would try to protect the threads in the crank with something like a piece of wood dowel. The balancer and crank should be ok if you don't get carried away with the torch. Worst thing would be damage to balancer requiring a replacement or damage to threads in crank...good luck!!

I gave your question more thought. Assuming you have removed the bolt and the washer is on the outside of the balancer, then nothing but rust and panit could hold it on there so hit it with a small hammer. If it still won't come off, hit it with a BIG hammer.:D

I am replacing the balancer because it sticks out to far for the application I'm using it in. I already have a replacement so I don't care about reusing the balancer. I already slightly damaged the threads on the crank but nothing I can't fix by chasing it with a tap.

EDIT: and yes the washer is on the inside.

I give up pulling it. I'm going to cut the spokes off the cut a slot along the keyway so I'm less likely to damage the crank.

PIC-0073.jpg

PIC-0074.jpg

PIC-0075.jpg

Latest posts

Back