I hate neighbors

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tude

I royally hate neighbors. I've lived in this small town for e last 3 years (there's like 10 houses and a church) anyways the guy across the street made a deal with me I mow and I can store my cars there and use the garage just give $50 a month for rent. Well this spring he let his stepson move in and since then I've had everything under lock and key. In the last month I've had nails drove into tires, had the step son toss all my stuff I had in one stall into the yard ( then attempt to jump me with his buddy when I asked why. I then pulled most all of my stuff back to my place ( still a few things left just need the time). I've put up a fence, bought trail cams and security cameras for my place.....

Then I get home today and my other neighbor is telling me my property line is 20 ft less than its been the last 3 years..... Guess what that means? I have no garage floor, all my cars are on his property, no driveway.....

I'm sorry for the rant but I'm getting very PO'ed.....

Even if it is his property he cannot just up and rescind your rights to use it.
If he didn't know that's one thing but if he did know and kept it secret during the sale that's another. if he can be jinxed into making a statement of record that he knew and had informed the previous owner, and the previous owner did not disclose it then you can sue him or his estate and the title insurance should cover such a thing.

One thing I remember from real estate law is once an easement has been granted unless it was restricted by a contract it is deemed to be somewhat in perpetuity.
the neighbor obviously allowed the previous owner of your lot to make improvements by lack of knowledge or by granting easement which could have even been word of mouth.

If your real estate tax appraisal shows the land under the improvements as yours and you have been paying the taxes, and his tax appraisal does not include that land in his tax liability you might be able to have a court award ownership by adverse possession or at least order that the present easement remain for the life of the improvements.

Escheat is a common law doctrine which transfers the property of a person who dies without heirs to the crown or state. It serves to ensure that property is not left in limbo without recognized ownership. It originally applied to a number of situations where a legal interest in land was destroyed by operation of law, so that the ownership of the land reverted to the immediately superior feudal lord.

As per real estate law (varies by state) if there can be established some form of abandonment ie failure to pay taxes, failure to annually challenge any unauthorized use, the ownership rights can be ruled to revert to the State and then be awarded by the court to the person with the next highest and best claim in the real estate.
If the neighbor had at one time granted easement then it would be by the conditions of the contract or if a verbal agreement then usually the courts rule the easement stands for the life of the use or the improvements.
If the previous owner granted easement or sold the land to your previous owner and your neighbor is unaware of this then he would have to sue the person or estate of the person he bought his house from for not disclosing it.

I find it highly unlikely that the neighbor would have gotten a loan to buy the place without an assay and appraisal of the property. it's one of the mandatory due dilligence requirements of the loan and title insurance.

In sort once an easement like that has been granted for any reason it is deemed to exist for the life of the improvements. the property owner cannot just revoke the easement because he doesn't like you or what you're doing with it.
And he can't revoke the easement because he changed his mind or because a new guy owns the property.
He can challenge new improvements but he cannot restrict you from using or maintaining the improvements.

I would:
Get a legally binding appraisal on your place and get copies of previous tax appraisals and assays of your property and his.
then figure out who legally owns it as per the land patent- deed and who's been paying the taxes- the deed, the tax assay and the legal assay and the legal description might not all jive....
If it's his and you've been paying taxes in addition to the maintenance etc, and he has not been taking legal action to secure his ownership against your use or the previous owners use the propert can be considered abandoned.

certain actions are required of an owner without their performance can be ruled abandonment.
you have to pay the taxes
you have to maintain your ownership ie make sure the public knows it is yours and fight off (leagally) any squatting or unauthorized easements.

simply mowing the grass putting up a fence or making and maintaining improvements on someone else's property does not constitute abandonment by the owner.
your actions cannot constitute abandonment, the owners inaction is what constitutes abandonment.

If it can be proved the owner knew there was an easement, did not inform you or the previous owner for several years (should be something like a "statue of limitation")
and did not challange your enjoyment of the property during this time then it can be rules he abandoned his rights.
according to real estate law most states no longer recognize alloidial estate you don't actually own the property, you own a package of rights to use the property.
The real estate was acquired by some sovereign governing authority by war or by treaty or purchase and then subdivided by legal description and assay and then a package of rights were passed from the governing authority to the first owner of record, his heirs and assigns by land patent recorded as a deed in the county registrar's office.
the land patent on any piece of real estate should have a link-chain of ownership all the way back to the governing authority that first took possession of it.

you can sue him for ownership or to prevent him from aggressing your easement of his property.
You should have nothing to fear from the law

Sam- it's acctually my dads property, I just rent it off him.

Dmw- there's been a metal rebar spike in the ground I thought was the corner( inline with the outside edge of my Garage. Turns out it was not surveyed the neighbor put it.

Bob- I'd love to, and last year I figured it out if I use the goose neck loaded to the gills hauling 2 at a time and loaded down with parts to move an hour away..... It was going to cost roughly around $10000 to just haul everything, that's hoping my trucks would get 8 mpg. That's just not gonna happen bringing all my stuff.

Never done- I'd much rather be around no one, much more peaceful!

Torch man- holy novel ill read tonight.....

Torchman covered just about all the legal bases that could apply, I'll only add that your first step should be acquiring the most current record of property lines and easements which should exist on file with the county/municipality in which the property resides. It's the first thing a Land Surveyor would do if you hired one to mark off the property.

I hear ya. Some neighbors do suck

I live in a neighborhood with long time residents. Everyone seems to mind their own business, they keep their lawns manicured and their homes painted. A guy moved in down the street. He had a '55 Chevy (unfinished) in his driveway and always seemed to be working on his 4X4. I heard that he came from a small town in Colorado. He mows his lawn every few months and his house seems to be falling apart. Just recently, one of the neighbors had a neighborhood get together. Seems that new neighbor is hated by "his" neighbors. He blasts heavy metal music at his one neighbor and tosses trash in his other neighbors yard. He does this if he thinks his neighbor has called the cops. When he first moved in, I was going to offer him a motor for his '55. I'm glad I didn't and I'm sooooooo glad he's down the street and not next door. [cl

Those Colorado people are no good. Probably came from Grand Junction - they are the worst. [ddd

You might already have survey markers in the ground. Around here they are usually 2-6" below ground and look like a thick piece of rebar. You need to get the survey description of your property so you can find them. A lot of counties now have the info on line - county assessor property search. Several of the counties here have Google type maps and also copies of the deed or survey description.

Depending on how your neighborhood is laid out, you might be able to find a neighbors pins and measuring from them.

Last edited:
Never take anything for granted......

Tman did hit about every legal aspect ...... there has to be a plot map at the city, county, village or township.....we have a subdivision in our city that has the smallest allowable plots / property lines where the home is nearly on top of the other..... nearly every week we are called because somebody put something on the neighbors property and the other neighbor wants it removed.....we (the police) don't do civil matters.....we don't determine property lines.....with the housing market at it's lowest and the property values at all time lows....the population of our community has changed dramatically.....the people who could not afford to buy homes in or near our city can suddenly own one.....dramatically changes the "atmosphere" of most small neighborhoods....that being said, I wouldn't take the word of any one person and start doing some research and or have the property surveyed....might find that your neighbor has his garage on your property...:D

My dad went through this with his annoying neighbor. He lives out in the middle of the woods on 60 acres for a reason (doesn't like neighbors).

Anyway, his neighbor has a ridiculous collection of roosters and guinea hens that make all kinds of racket and he put the hen house on my dad's property, along with a big pile of firewood. After asking nicely, with no results, he finally got a surveyor out and proved it it.

I like to picture my dad sipping a beer while watching that jerk neighbor move all his wood and squawking varmints by hand. :D

Torchman's advice and info is spot on. If someone allows a neighbor to use part of their property for a long time they create a situation where the neighbor has some rights to it, especially if it impedes their ability to get to their home. He can tell you he owns it but proving it is another matter.

Did anyone see that story on the news where some lady moved out of her home for a year and when she came back a squatter had taken up residence ? The squatter even changed appliances and tore up stuff, but the owner can't get her out and has to live in half of the house while the squatter lives in the other half, until the courts decide if she can stay. :eek: That could take a year and in the meantime they can't force her to move. Crazy.

Don
Here is the news story:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/334749

Latest posts

Back