I made a lady cry today

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the reverend muddy grimes

Brother Binder
And whats more, Im proud of it. I repair cable for a living. Was called out on a service call to replace an underground drop that her dog had chewed up. I was polite, and as i try to do always, I took an interest in her and her family. I figure these people pay me to be in their home, I should make them feel like they are getting their moneys worth. Job took longer than it should have, but that was because I let her 2 yr old "help" me with it. I went to leave, and made an observation that I probably shouldnt have in my professional capasity. I saw all the signs that she was a single mother, and I mentioned that I knew how hard it was to be a single parent and I felt that she was doing an excelent job with her children. (I was a single father for 6 years) I told her there was no charge on the job as it wasnt in her house. She began to shake, and burst into tears. She said that noone ever made her feel valued and it was nice to hear. and then she sent me on my way with a heart warming "God Bless you." It got to me. Has customer service gone away? Is treating someone like they matter a thing of the past? I know I'm not the only one doing this stuff, But why is it no longer the normal?

Good for you you Rev. You never know what kind of troubles and pressures other people are silently dealing with. Sometimes a simple act of kindness can make a lasting impression on some troubled soul and really help them through a trying time even though your act may, or may not be directly related to their personal issues.

Good for you. We have become so insensitive to other people any more that it is rare when someone does something nice for someone else. Maybe this economy has been good in the respect it makes us all a little more humble and aware of other peoples problems.

Don

Is treating someone like they matter a thing of the past? I know I'm not the only one doing this stuff, But why is it no longer the normal?

As long as you keep doing 'random acts of kindness' it will become normal, others will pick up on it and do their bit, sometimes without even knowing it. Good for you.[cl

Good on you Rev. It really doesn't take much to make someone's day, or their life, she will remember you for a long time.
I also like to do that for people where ever I go. I make it a point to pleasntly engage every store clerk.
But sometimes it can backfire a little. When I was in the garage business I would try to help out those single mom's and do them favours. Word got out and pretty soon I was running JB's welfare mom auto repair. I even had to ask one to leave, it got to where she would come in crying and tell me how her boyfirend/daughter/daughter's boyfriend (none of whom worked) had trashed her car, or how crappy her job was and I finally told her I just fixed cars, not people and disfunctional relationships.

I made a lady cry

Good for you Rev, I wish more people would go that extra inch to help others out.

Awesome! You are the kind of person that SHOULD be doing service work. I am a service electrician, the best part of my job is helping people. To get paid and to come away with such a good feeling is almost too good to be true...

The thing that shocked me was that this lady was a working single mother, She works for Motorola. Top that with shes smokin, ad I mean Smokin hot, and i just assumed guys lined up to "value"* her. Shows what I know.

*using the word to mean compliment her untill she is sick of hearing it.

Haha, and here we were thinking you were just being nice to some poor Mother who was down on her luck. :D We guys always have something up our sleeve...........or, somewhere else we can't discuss here.:eek:

That's thinkin with your dipstick, Jimmy :D

Don

No guys, that wasnt even on my mind, which shocks me beyond words. Im so busy working on keeping my marrage from collapsing on my head that I havent purposfully looked at other women in over a month. My point in the description of her was for the responses about welfare moms. Them I can understand needing the validation, but this woman seemed to have so much going for her that it really suprised me.

No guys, that wasnt even on my mind, which shocks me beyond words. Im so busy working on keeping my marrage from collapsing on my head that I havent purposfully looked at other women in over a month. My point in the description of her was for the responses about welfare moms. Them I can understand needing the validation, but this woman seemed to have so much going for her that it really suprised me.
I know what you mean. My wife was going through the big "M" (menopause) and I was ready to shoot myself.

ya know - im 26 and cannot count how many single mothers i know who are simply amazing and would be a great catch for any man and yet theyre previous relationship(s) or whatever has left them with such a twisted mindset
its almost enough to make you cry - or up and beat down the guy who could knowingly make someone feel that low.

its weird how when you look at certain walks of life you find trends within the people involved in them - like rat rods and being an all around good person... sure theres some jerks but most people ive ever met with a rat rod-whether in person or on the computer - are mostly all-around good people, polite, friendly, kind, and willing to help if they can - definitively cant personally say the same for most other car lovers ive known

i would guess
its got to have something to do with holding on to and enjoyng more than just the vehicles of the time period - but ideals and time as a whole -

The other thing that is a more recent development (compared to when I was younger) is that most single women today have a kid or two. A lot of guys are not willing to take on that extra baggage, so a lot of very nice women who are great catches are dateless.

It is a very tough situation for a guy to enter into these kinds of relationships because he is becoming part of a family and he is not blood to them. Makes it very hard for the kids and for the two people trying to make a relationship. My Son Don's GF has a little girl from her first marriage, and Don has stepped up to the plate and become a second Dad to her. But a lot of guys simply don't want that responsibility. I'm not sure I could do it, but maybe that is because I am older and more set in my ways.

Don

Latest posts

Back