I might be thinking to far out side the box

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJunktionMike

Something's wrong with that boy!
Between a rock (my Nash(can)) and a hard spot (76 fiat spider) I have injoyed 2 weeks of not working for a living but all good things come to an end. I have a 76 fiat that has been sitting on CL for 2 months and only 2 nibbles. I started measuring things up on the fait and everything would be a good fit to go under my Nash bucket. With very little cash to work with this could be done with very little out of pocket due to I can use all the parts from the fiat. Am I thinking to far out side the box.

up side for doing this:
4 wheel disc brakes
4 link already of Fiat
front end unbolts in one piece, easy to mount on difrerent frame
5 speed tranny
DOHC motor
the old fiat would do 100+ mph
I own all the parts

Down side for doing this:
4 cyclinder dohc:D
fiat is in ok shape (realy don't want to trash but???)

Would like any input on this, I have about a week before I realy need to go one direction or the other, fix up the fiat if it doen't sale or join the two together

We had a Sport Spider Fiat, it was one I built for my wife at the time. Fun little car and it had a backseat for groceries and the kids. Pretty peppy too, but it was plaqued with the usual Fiat ailments (Fix It Again, Tony). Reason I got rid of it was because parts were starting to dry up.

But for a little hot rod it would probably make a nice donor, and you already own it.

Don

Go for it, I am using everything off a Alfa romeo same DOHC, 5 speed, rear end, seats dash, disc brakes.....on and on, taking everything off one car is the way to go!

PS. YOU ALREADY HAVE IT!

Yeah, go for it..somebody on here (sorry, can't remember who) built a sweet little roadster using mostly a mercedes drivetrain..

And God said....let him build a rat rod the way HE wants........
mmmm....let me check my rat rod builders guide......
crap...I can't find it......I guess you can build it.....

Yep, build it if you want to. But if it was mine, I'd peddle all that euro-poo-poo and use the $$$ to buy a donor car. Get a Dodge Dart from some granny and swap the slant 6, tranny and rear end into the Nash. Just one idea.

On the other hand, there's a young fella in my neighborhood with an Alpha engine & trans in his all metal bucket. It is very cool.
2008_0920Misc0007.jpg

Thank you for the Input

Well guys thanks for the input I still have one more week to chew on this before I have to do something.

Yea bob I'v tried to sale the euro-poo-poo. But if you remember boneheads truth in adver thread, In your neck of the woods everything is made of gold if your selling. With jobs the way they are around here, My thinking is I'm going to be down a couple months I might as well make the best of it. I can take a couple weeks an polish the fiat turd and maybe get $2,000 if I'm lucky. or dive in to joining the nash and fiat with a 3 week schedule (I have nothing better to do) and hope for a better turn around. I don't know if I'm going the wrong direction with this or not, But I'm thankful for the input.

Maybe keep the bits you can build with and sell the sheetmetal, which, if memory serves, is what rusted out on those things anyway.

merge

How heavy is the Nash? And you got to remember,parts ain't cheap or easy to find for the Fiat. Why not offer the Fiat up for trade to a grocery getter with easier to find parts. Your cars,you got the time,heck sounds like you already answered your question. Got everything you need except elbow grease.:cool:

I can take a couple weeks an polish the fiat turd and maybe get $2,000 if I'm lucky. or dive in to joining the nash and fiat with a 3 week schedule (I have nothing better to do) and hope for a better turn around. I don't know if I'm going the wrong direction with this or not, But I'm thankful for the input.

Not sure over there in the US , but here in aussie joining two or more clunkers to make 1 for a monetory thing is really hard for a good return
Unless of course its all free,or ya own it all
Money = time,time = money
From a time invested gamble to hopefully make a good return , id think real hard
From a "well knock up something usefull from something not usefull",sure go for it , thats what its all about

Got schooled in fiats today

Thank guys for all the input on this. Had a guy look at the fiat today and got to BS'n with him and got schooled in Fiats. the out come is it maybe be going away to trade for parts I'm missing for my 51 f-1 and parts for the nash bucket (frame[cl and other parts) Still it might of made one wild little ride.

Turbo t that is awsome:eek:. it is almost the same motor as mine only the timing belt is open. Now that I see this If the deal doesn't pan out I'll move ahead on the build. only I'll have to name mine el cheapo 2 :rolleyes:

Nash/Fiat?

Go for it Mike. How are you going to build something fun for the kind of dough you will have in it? You have done all the checks for the build. Between the two cars, it is all there. Ya' maybe parts will be harder and harder to find but in the mean time "pedal to the metal" and have fun. Nothin' lasts forever. WAY outside the box is cool! Steve

Latest posts

Back