I need 200R4 info

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Dude

I just finished searching the archives for any info on the 200R4. Not much turned up.

Here is what I'll be running in my 31AA that's being converted to look like a 31A pickup. 86 350 with an autolite 2 bbl carb. 93 chevy V6 pickup 200R4 trans, hooked to an early BronkoII rear end. I have no idea what gear it has, but it come out of a 4x4. I'll also be running the leaf springs that come with the diffy. I'll be running 10:50x31's all the way around on 8" steel wheels. I already have a 29-31A front axle and a set of 40 Ford spindles. I plan on running GM disc brakes on front. This truck will NOT be lowered. I'll also be putting the tilt steering wheel in it hooked to a Datsan 280 rack and pinion. All these parts and pieces I have. Oh yeah, the 2 running donor trucks also. I'll be using this for an daily driver, so reliability and simple is a must. No, I won't be trying to burn any rubber either. Just enjoying the ride with the windshield open.

I'm pretty sure I can mount the tranny up to the 350 without much problem. I'm thinking the O/D operates by computer somehow? Or is it a lockup torque converter? If it is computer operated, is there any way I can operate it with a switch? Any info on this trans would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, theres a electronic box that you can hook up to the overdrive section, they aren't expensive....you should be able to find one here on the internet easy....you can either mount a button on your shifter to control the overdrive manually(for performance) or let it shift normally.
:cool:

Here it is....
http://www.shopwiki.com/torque+converter+solenoid

Now you can control the lock-up function on your 700R4 or 200-4R overdrive transmission with your carbureted engine without having to buy expensive computer controlled equipment. A vacuum controlled switch and a 4th gear pressure switch controls the torque converter lock up solenoid. Kit comes complete with everything to complete the installation and fits any 700R4 or 200-4R GM transmission.

That way you can use the trans with a early motor without computer control....[P:cool:

The most crucial thing to remember is proper TV ( throttle valve ) cable adjustment . This is NOT a kickdown cable as it controls line pressure in relative to throttle opening . This trans does not have a vacume modulator . If incorrectly adjusted to tight it will have late upshifts if any , if adjusted to loose it will cause a sliding upshift due to low line pressure . They are very good transmissions just a touch on the finicky side , but once you have it adjusted correctly you will love it . Good Luck on your build !

Good info. I prolly would have scrapped the trans not knowing very much about autos. I made a huge mistake once by trusting a Smith's oil pressure gauge (the kind found in Jaguars). I was running a 365horse 327 in my 56 chevy, and my oil pressure dropped to about 3 pounds. I pulled the engine and dropped a 350 into it. In the meantime I sold the 327 for 20 bucks. After I fired up the 350, it still had the same problem. Dumb Dumb Dumb! Thanks for the heads up.

200r4

Hey Screamin
I thnk the 200r4 is like the 700r4 in that you can put a valve in the valve body that removes the electical hook-up for the converter lock-up.
I have used this in 700r4 and it works fine. check some of the trans sites about this valve.

have fun
Tom

Would the V6 converter be right for a V8 ? Maybe it would have a higher stall though if used on the 350, so that might be OK. Whatever you do with regard to the converter lockup, I wouldn't recommend having a manual switch to lock or unlock it - we are only human and sooner or later, it will get forgotten and you'll pull to a stop with it locked and that will fry the clutch inside the torque converter.
Just use the brake pedal and vacuum switches from the donor vehicle and you will have a tranny that works the way it's supposed to .

Take a look at Bowtie Overdrive web site. They have a lot of good information about the 2004R and 700R4 transmissions that should help you. They also see wiring kits for them and TV cable brackets for just about and carburetor. I purchased a 700R4 from them about ten years ago for my '65 Chevelle. I installed it myself and haven't had any problems with the transmission. I'm not trying to sell their products, they are just a good resource for information.

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/index.shtml

Keith

This is what I was talking about for the 700r4 removing the electrical wiring for lock up.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/700-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
or this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-7...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

but I could not locate one for a 200r4??

have fun
Tom

They're so close, hookup wise, I think they're close to being interchangeable. I could be wrong, 90% of the stuff I deal with is Racing stuff.....:rolleyes:[P

the 200r4 has a more even gear spacing in the shifts...the 700r4 has more of a granny gear first with a bigger rpm gap between 1st ans 2nd than the 200r4
1982-1985 700r4's and all 200r4's torque converters are 27 spline inputs and are interchangable
they have 3 different factory stall ranges for them the first is 1200-1400 rpm I cant remember the others.
In 1985 the 700r4 went to a 30 spline converter. it supposedly will fit on a 27 spline input shaft buy you wont be going anywhere.

but I could not locate one for a 200r4??

I believe I found a wiring harness for the 200R4 online in Jegs. Could have been another HP catalog, not sure.

I don't care about stall speed or high performance. Or even burning a little rubber. Remember, I'm running a set of 31s all the way around with an 85 Bronko rear. All I'll do is break something. This is being built for cruzing and gas millage as I plan on taking some pretty extended trips with it. It will also have an autolite 2V carb on it. Heck, I might even run a quiet exhaust. :D Just kidding.

Latest posts

Back