I thought you guys may like this..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJinaTJ

Here is my version of a popular reciprocating hammer documented on another website. It still needs cleaned up and painted, but I couldn't wait to use it. It works very well with a set of thumbnail dies and doming dies I also built.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

After making the machine I started on the task of creating dies. Here is a pair of dies I made in about 10 minutes and a couple of pictures of what they are for.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Looks great and by making your on dies you can make any shape you need. I do some blacksmithing and built my own air hammer but I've been wanting to build something like what you got there for a while now, just might have to get off my lazy but and do it.

I am not sure this would help much with blacksmithing. I would probably go for more of a helve hammer for that. I can say this thing will eat up some sheet metal pretty fast though..

Good luck!

Last edited:
I am not sure this would help much with blacksmithing. I would probably go for more of a helve hammer for that. I can say this thing will eat up some sheet metal pretty fast though..

Good luck!

Yeah your about that, my air hammer works a little slower than your hammer but it's got a 10" stroke so I can get large stock in it and it"s pickin up about a 50 lb head.

your right, I do like it. I signed up on the shaping forum. I am a novice shaper but now I have time to finish my english wheel and planishing hammer projects!:D

Latest posts

Back