I want to go racing!!!!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

I haven't been down the 1/4 mile in 30 years, but I really am getting the bug to start again. The Billetproof Drags were the icing on the cake, but shows like Pinks All Out and Pass Time have had me thinking about it for a while.

I am ultimately going to build a drag altered, probably with the 460 Ford I have sitting around. It's a pretty good full roller motor with lots of machine work, so it should make a very consistent bracket car, especially in a light car. I will build my own frame and have Dan do my cage and aluminum work for me, and probably use either a T or Austin Bantam glass body.

However, first I have to finish my 27 and get it on the road, so I have been looking for an interim car that my Sons and I can use to hone our 1/4 mile skills so that when the altered comes around we will have more seat time and feel more comfortable with it. Today I think I found one that might work and not break the bank.

This Camaro ex drag car is sitting and is going up for sale soon. I couldn't see too much because the hood is stuck, but it is a small block Chevy with an aluminum intake, Holley carb, headers, MSD ignition, and a lot of dirt from sitting for God knows how long. It has been stripped of all the stuff that wasn't needed and has some old school touches like Cragar 5 spokes and slapper bars. I have no idea of the mechanical condition, but if it goes as cheap as I hope it will make a low buck bracket car that we can have some fun with.

I should know in the next few weeks if it is mine or not, but in the mean time here is a picture of it, years of dirt and all. :D:D

camarodragcar.jpg

Don

i like the idea!-[cl-[cl-of BOTH race projects:D

keep us in the loop....[P

that camaro looks almost identical to the one i got my front end from for my 46 ford truck :)

Don, that sounds like a good solid plan and a great way to have some fun. I just have one problem with it:D. I know how you guys are and the project will spiral out of control. A little tune up here, a little more cage there, and the next thing you know..........................................

PS - I think that Camaro you're looking at is about a 1978 or so. Good luck.

I think 79 Bill. The vin number had a 79 then a 1 after it, so that is what I came up with anyway.

You're right about it maybe getting out of control. Tonight I was telling Dan about it and he starts talking about tubbing it and cutting out the rusted areas and putting patch panels, etc. Huh uh, if this thing materializes it is going to be safe but rough. I just need to keep him away from it. :p

I think I would just clean it up a little, fix the brakes and stuff like that, put some new tires on it, and see what it will do. Hope I score it. I should know in a couple of weeks.

Don

I hope you get it Don and have some fun. Yea, I looked at some photos and it does look like a 79. If you get it, let me know, I might have some odds and ends you can use. If so, you can have them.

Thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I've got a feeling there is some money in the engine. It may have World heads on it because there is a decal on the side for that company. I wish I could have gotten a better look at the motor but the hood wouldn't budge. Maybe the previous owner locked it down somehow to keep people out. I would LOVE to find out when I tear it down there is a stroker in there. :D:D

Don

Be like an early Christmas huh?:D.......Good luck and keep us up on what you do....I hope it is a stroker![cl..........CR

Thanks guys. I'm one step closer to getting it. Spoke to the person who is selling it today and told them I am a serious buyer. She told me a tool salesman came by one day and was telling her he knew this car,and it was a pretty fast car in it's day, and the engine was "really something. " Not sure what 4 years of sitting have done, but I would tear it all down completely to see what I've got.

About 15 years ago I found a similar deal. It was an 85 Mustang 5.0 that was hit a little in the rear and the body shop ended up owning it. They wanted $ 600 for it and when I pulled the oil fill cap from the one Moroso valve cover I saw gold roller rockers staring back at me! :D I laid $ 600 on him so quick it made his head spin. Later on when I tore it down I found TRW forged pistons, forged rods, and a Crane roller cam with only numbers electric pencilled on the back side. When I called Crane the tech did some research and said "How did you get that cam, it was an experimental grind that was "very serious and really not made for the street."

I love finding surprises like that when you buy a car. Hope this one ends up the same way. :D

Don

Hehe, they just called me back. They tell me it is almost a certainty I'll get it. They want it gone as bad as I want to buy it. :D Still not going to start ordering Camaro parts until it's a done deal, but it is looking better.

Might get my Xmas present early! [cl

Don

camaro003.jpg

Only if I find out it is really mine by that time. :D Otherwise I might end up with a lot of new parts for a car I didn't get.:( But you never know, it might be mine by then.

Don

Dan and I went to look at it today and we were able to get the hood open and remove the cover from the engine. Someone has done some serious work to it. It has a 650 double pumper on a highrise single plane intake, a ProBillet MSD distributor and box, an electric water pump setup, and the best part is World Product steel heads. :D I removed the one valve cover and found gold roller rockers and everything super clean in there. I don't think the engine has ever been fired, there is no oil residue in there, and the springs and all look new.

So far all the decals on the car have been for parts that were actually on the car, so it isn't like some poser just put any old decals on it. There is one decal for Richmond positraction units, so I hope there are some good gears in the rear. They also used solid racing motor mounts, and ARP stainless bolts on every part on the motor. I really feel it was put together right. There is also a decal for B&M, so maybe the transmission has some goodies in it too.

Isn't it funny how we get so anxious when we are waiting to here if we actually are going to get a car we are interested in? I'm like a kid waiting for Santa. :D

Don

sounds like you all opened up a treasure chest![dr

it REALLY makes ya want it now, doesn't it?:D

if its got all those "goodies" in it i'll bet it's got a thumper of a camshaft!;)
you'll be needed some slicks for that thing:D:D

I bet you are right about the cam...........they must have put a wicked one in there, maybe a solid lifter one. With the racing only water pump it wasn't going to be street driven, so some high compression and a big cam would be logical.

I really hope I score this one. Even if I just use the engine for a little altered it would be worth it.

Don

Don, that sounds like a good solid plan and a great way to have some fun. I just have one problem with it:D. I know how you guys are and the project will spiral out of control. A little tune up here, a little more cage there, and the next thing you know...

Yep... Don, Gastrick knows u all too well but I... er... have no room to talk my own self!!! :D

BoB

Well, it's been 2 months exactly since I first did this thread. Every week or two I would call the people that had this Camaro and ask if they had finished processing the lien so they could sell the car to me. Each time the answer was "No, but we are working on it." Today the answer was "Yep, come on over and we'll talk about when you want to pick it up." [cl So it looks like Wednesday I can have a rollback wrecker go there and get it and take it to our shop.

My plans have changed for it though over the past two months. From looking at it several times I realize the body is really pretty rusty, but that is ok. My new plan it to transplant the motor, transmission, and rear axle assembly into the 46 Ford I bought at Turkey Run.

The first thing I am going to do is tear it down to see how it has fared being stored 6 years outside. The engine was covered with two tarps so it stayed bone dry, but I want to make sure the cylinder walls and all haven't gotten any rust on them. From what I can see the previous owner took a lot of time building the engine so I hope he was smart enough to oil the internals well before storing it. I may also have to detune it a little because it was obviously built for racing and I will need to see what compression ratio, cam, etc is in it.

I'm REALLY excited to tear into it. I just know there are some real goodies inside. No one would put stuff like World Product heads, roller rockers, a new Holley DP carb, and electric water pump on a not-reworked engine block. I will be like a kid on Xmas when I pull off the intake and start peering inside. I'll let everyone know what I find when I do that........probably this coming weekend. :D

Here are the two that are getting mated..........should make the old Ford a nice swap.

Don

camarodragcar.jpg

46athome001.jpg

Latest posts

Back