I want to go racing!!!!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those holes in my head are lightning holes. I'm so much faster now that I got all that weight off. :D

I got the engine and transmission pulled last night. What I see looks like a built TH350 because it has a deep pan, is painted black, and had either B&M Trick Shift or Royal Purple fluid in it (fluid was purple in color and very clean) It has a double roller timing set with a roller cam button, and I am pretty sure it is a 4 bolt, I don't think it was run much more than break in time because the paper sticker on the header mufflers is not burned at all.

I am on the fence about keeping the rear axle when I have the junkman tow away the car. I was going to keep it but last night when I removed the driveshaft it seems to have a bit of play in the yoke. I also think there is a spool in there as the tires scrubbed badly when we pushed it around a corner to park it. Tonight I'm removing the back cover and seeing what I can see in there. If I leave the wheels and rear end on it the junk guy will be able to lift it easier onto his rollback truck. But if I see expensive stuff in there I'll go to Plan B. (Not sure what Plan B is yet:confused:)

I'm also going to get the engine on an engine stand tonight and pull the pan and get the cam and crank out of it. I know it isn't a stroker as the stroke measures 3.5 inches (stock 350 size) but I feel there may be some goodies inside, like aftermarket rods and maybe a balance job. From what I am seeing on all the other stuff they did everything right and bought good parts, so I think what I haven't seen yet will be more of the same.

As for pictures, this is the only one I took last night, but I'll sure have more tonight after teardown.:D

camaro20timing20chain20001.jpg

Don

Ok, I know a lot more about my new purchase than I did yesterday. I left work early today (was running into overtime) and tore down the engine and removed the transmission.

The transmission is a B&M. I found part of their decal on the top of the transmission case....the B and part of the M. The converter had a part number of 20413 on it and is also B&M. They call it a Holeshot 3000. It goes for about $ 475.00. The flexplate is a TCI with and SFI approved sticker on it.

Got the pan off. It IS a 4 bolt main block. (insert big smile here) The pistons and rods are all stamped with the number of the cylinder they go into and I can see where material was removed from the underside of the pistons on some and also on the connecting rods. So evidently it was balanced.

The pistons are forged but nothing special. The are Sealed Power 2244P .020 over. I researched that number (it is an old number) and it works out to be just about 9:78 to 1 with my 62 cc heads. The connecting rods have no real number on them except for GMA and 687. I couldn't find that number on the internet.

The cam has a number stamped on the back but I couldn't find it anywhere either. It is SE1090P. But it is going into the trash as are the lifters because I found the 3rd lobe from the back is wiped. Every other one is perfect except for that one. Maybe a bad break in proceedure or they set that one too tight? Any thoughts?

The engine also has screw in plugs instead of tap in ones, and the inside is really clean. However, it will go to my machinist for a hot tank and complete check over. The crank spins very freely in the bearings, and the bearings all showed some minor scoring, probably from the cam shavings getting circulated. The journals are all nice on the crank and it is marked 010 and 010, so the rods and mains are 10 under.

The crank is not remarkable either, the part number is 3932442 which comes up as a cast crank, medium journal with a 3.48 stroke. Being that this will become a street motor it will be more than I need.

Finally, the oil pan has no markings but is a deep flat sump model and the oil pump sits way down in it with a square pickup........some brand of racing setup obviously. It also has a heavy duty oil pump driveshaft.

So, that is what I have and overall I am really happy with my purchase. I got a lot of nice, expensive parts and a good basis to get my 46 running. Thanks for looking and for all the advice and tips.

Oh, tomorrow in the daylight I plan on looking inside the rear end. I have the junk man lined up for Monday to come and take it away so I have to get moving.
Don
Edit/Delete Message

Looks like a great score, Don. If the rods have ARP bolts (and they most likely do), and you don't go crazy on the rpms, you have a 400+hp engine you can drive on the street and still make some fun runs at the strip.

On the cam, your probably right, improper break in, either they didn't use enough cam/lifter lube or didn't pre-oil it or just flat let it idle immediately any of those things will generally take a lobe out. Otherwise it sounds like a great motor/trans at a great price. Good score.

Regards,

Rev. D.

well, the bad news is bad camshaft.......

the good news is a great block, a good crank rods, pistons, heads, roller rockers, intake, carb,.....do i need to remind you of how good of a deal you got there?!:D

will be waiting to see that rumpity-thumpity 46 blow some tuner car's doors off![ddd[cl

Latest posts

Back