I want to start a build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyotecher

I recently graduated from wyotech and I work in a body shop and the bug has bitten me in a big way I want to start a rat rod build. Some thing in the mid forties I was think of a truck. Any suggestions would be great.

Start looking for a cab/doner! If you're in WY, you should have an easy time of that. No matter where yer at, drive the back roads and check CraigsList.

Welcome to RRR!

hey there...if your in wyoming, or better yet cheyenne. give me a PM and i can lead you to a guy that has a 2 acre lot ful of 40's trucks. better yet, there complete trucks, full sheet metal, cab, the works, most even have original motors. let me know

Wow, a wyotech grad asking us. I feel flattered. I have seen some of the stuff that you guys worked on over there. Awesome.
For fenderless, I think the prewar trucks are best. Once the fenders started getting pudgy and attached to the cab, they just don't look as good without fenders IMO. Fords are usually the most sought after. I'd stay away from the wooden chevys and binders unless you are prepared to deal with the wood. I am pretty conservative and traditional, not a huge fan of the cartoon trucks with the cab shoved back to the rear tires, but that is a pretty popular look right now. I do have a fenderless build going but my taste in pickups is to keep all the body and original wheel base. Lowered 2-3 inches with conservative wheels and tires that have some sidewall. The 35-37 Fords are some of my favorites but I have never built one.

the mid late 40's trucks and be pulled off fenderless, i trimmed part of the bottom cab that looked ugly and it fits well for my build. if the firewall is still to ugly, can always keep the hood which covers that ugly portion very easily and still give you the fenderless look.

I actually graduated from the blairsville PA campus and I'am hoping to find a truck some where in PA or ohio.

shame that your not in this area, tons of complete projects and dirt cheap. plus well preserved by....wind! good luck none the less

Like Sam said, you shouldn't have trouble finding a truck so build up where you live. You have the skills, get to it and keep us posted! :D

I know where that place is it is budds auto in deerfield and I'am doing to take a ride out there soon. I live right around pittsburgh. I didn't realize how much stuff he has

I'm originally from your neighborhood. Grew up in Belle Vernon area, lived in Turtle Creek, Irwin, Latrobe, Jeannette, and worked in Connelsville. Tin is not as plentiful there now as it once was, but if you dig around you should be able to score one of these pickup cabs.

Good to see another Steelers fan on the forum. :D:D (You DO own a terrible towel, don't you?)

Don

Latest posts

Back