ID Help? Buildable?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurk

Hey all,

Feast your eyes on this rusty beauty. I need help identifying this auto, and maybe someone to point me toward some pics of what this could/should look like. Also, any random thoughts that pop into your heads would be most welcomed. What would you do with it, if it were in your shop, etc...

Short story; yes, those are bullet holes, and yes this car rolled into this canyon. To retrieve it, I will need to persuade 3-4 of my friends to help carry it about a mile to where it might be trailered to safety. Enjoy.

Dan

Attachments

• Bullet Holes and Rust.jpg
    Bullet Holes and Rust.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 99
I think it's gonna need a Sawzall and about a mile of welding wire. I think as far gone as that is, I'd just remove what i could (dash, window frames, etc) and leave the rest to the elements where they are now. Doesn't look they'd be your friends for long if you asked them to carry that tetanus-shot-in-the-making!

Looks to me to be the remains of a '37-'38 Chevy coupe, or one of the similar era clones from those "other" GM brands of that era-kinda hard to tell with no fenders or hood and grille visible.[S

Would certainly require a PILE of work to get back into shape...That being said, a car in that condition around "my neck of the woods" would probably fetch $1500-$2000...:(

Good luck whatever you do.

Regards,
Shea:)

YES!

l'd drag it outta the woods and do something with it.

build a safe chassis, put in good running motor, rear-end & tranny , wire it, throw a donor roof on it, put a new floor in, windshield and drive the heck outta it.:D[cl

Later:cool:

Looks to me to be the remains of a '37-'38 Chevy coupe, or one of the similar era clones from those "other" GM brands of that era-kinda hard to tell with no fenders or hood and grille visible.[S

Would certainly require a PILE of work to get back into shape...That being said, a car in that condition around "my neck of the woods" would probably fetch $1500-$2000...:(

Good luck whatever you do.

Regards,
Shea:)

Good god, $1500- $2000 for a car in this condition? :eek:

Iron must be hard to come by out there. Here on the prairies, we'd say weigh it, and that's what it's worth. :D

Yep, like Shea says, '37 or '38 Chevy. Like this,

nat536.jpg

A couple years back in a rod mag they had a feature on a car that a guy in Sweden built, think it was a 36 Ford. He found the body in a quarry or something like that, looked like it had been driven over by a bulldozer, I'd have been embarrassed to have taken it to a scrap yard........turned it into a beautiful rod that you'd never believe started from that mess.
However, unless you have great skill, patience and time, I'd keep on looking unless you want it for yard art.

street legal race car

ya could always find a modified/race car chassis and make a street legal race car outta it. seems to be a real popular way to go. l have seen about 15 or more lately on the web and at car shows.

here is a few l found and what kind of chassis to use.

you can find these kinds of chassis fairly cheap, just look on line or craigslist for some one who quit racing.

l picked up a complete late model modified chassis with suspension for $500.00

Attachments

• 36%20Side%20Left%201400.jpg
    36%20Side%20Left%201400.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 6%20cylinder%20rat%20rod.jpg
    6%20cylinder%20rat%20rod.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 61354638.jpg
    61354638.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 87131h2_20.jpg
    87131h2_20.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 9
  • full-race-jalopy-lead.jpg
    full-race-jalopy-lead.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 9
  • imagesCAB9PTYI.jpg
    imagesCAB9PTYI.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 12
  • modified chassis.jpg
    modified chassis.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 9
  • modified chassis.jpg 1.jpg
    modified chassis.jpg 1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 9
  • New Imagec.jpg
    New Imagec.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 9
  • VictoryCircleChassis.jpg
    VictoryCircleChassis.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 9
I agree that some cars are better left where they lie. You have to weigh what it would take in time and money to get this body even remotely close to being usable. If you add in all the (expensive) parts that are missing you will pay more for those individual parts than what you can find a better body for. Price doors and a trunk lid as an example.

There is guy on the HAMB saving a 46-48 Ford Tudor that most people would have walked away from............God bless him, but he probably has more in grinding discs, mig wire, and argon gas than he would have had in finding a better body to start with.............................not to mention he could have been on the road years sooner.

Maybe I'm just lazy. :eek::D

Don

ya could always find a modified/race car chassis and make a street legal race car outta it. seems to be a real popular way to go. l have seen about 15 or more lately on the web and at car shows.

here is a few l found and what kind of chassis to use.

you can find these kinds of chassis fairly cheap, just look on line or craigslist for some one who quit racing.

l picked up a complete late model modified chassis with suspension for $500.00

I've been wanting to buil a street race car like this, for years!!! Maybe someday!!

Latest posts

Back