Ideas for chassis-to-body isolation

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

Looking for ideas for something to seperate the chassis from the body on my model A project. As it is, the body sits direcly on the chassis and would squeak as they flexed.

Speedway sells a roll of rubber tape for this purpose, but it's $50 a roll. Has to be something cheaper that I'm not thinking of. [S

any place that ships big rolls of paper will have sheets of recycled rubber mat they throw down the keep the rolls form sliding on the floors of the trailers.

Run to the tractor supply....

pick up a mud flap for a semi....or the local truck stop....It's about a 1/4 to 5/15 thick and would work fine......cheap too....I can get them here for about 8 buck...

pick up a mud flap for a semi....or the local truck stop....It's about a 1/4 to 5/15 thick and would work fine......cheap too....I can get them here for about 8 buck...

No use a Mudflap from a semi trailer...its the same thing but different enough to argue about lol

in a word, oak[cl cheap and i use it on all our trucks when i add the utility beds. never had a problem, the rubber will squeeze out after awhile. i know the car body is lite but it works.

I like my bodies to sit a little higher off the frame than just sheets of rubber. I used to use hockey pucks but have been using boat trailer rollers cut about 1/2" - 3/4" high. A 12" boat trailer roller is about $15, already has a hole drilled in the middle and is enough for several cars.

Beercan

I like my bodies to sit a little higher off the frame than just sheets of rubber. I used to use hockey pucks but have been using boat trailer rollers cut about 1/2" - 3/4" high. A 12" boat trailer roller is about $15, already has a hole drilled in the middle and is enough for several cars.

Beercan

I'll be using an old conveyor belt grabbed from work for my ride but, Rustybeercan, that's a great idea! I luv using materials that have no automotive application, at all, and making them work for our purposes! Better yet, try a boat repair yard and see if they have any old ones laying around!

I guess I've been doing it wrong, I've always bolted my bodies solidly to the frame - I felt it makes for a more solid vehicle, tying the frame and body together, especially on a roadster - when the body flexes and you've got your arm resting on it while cruising, you can get a nasty pinch when the door gap closes up....

I've got some pieces of an old conveyer belt I'm gonna use if I can figure out a way to drill a hole in them that won't close up. [S Might end up using a small hole saw. Tried a 1/2" drill bit, when I took the bit out, the hole was too small for a 1/4" bolt!:confused::eek:

I had a chunk of thinner belting, maybe 1/4 inch and just used a hole saw in the drill press to make all my body idolaters. I also keep a few rolls that I get from scraping out treadmill exercise machines, comes in handy.

Latest posts

Back