Idea's for the 36' chev sedan.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsmecord

Ok everyone,I have been hanging out getting a feel for this place. [cl
Anyhow,I thought I would ask the peoples thoughts on a good suspension setup for my 36' 2-door sedan.
I have a factory mustang II crossmember that I will be grafting to my frame soon. I was wondering if anybody had a install of the factory MII crossmember into a older chevy like mine ? I tried the "search feature" and came up short so I figured I would just ask. The car will be running a built 327: forged crank/pistons,6" rods,worked over votecs,air gap,and a nice ROUGH cam.Power will then go to a 85' camaro t5 5-speed,and onto a spooled 4:11 s10 rear end.Now I have an idea in my head of what kinda power this engine will make,and I also know that I need a WC tranny,and a better rear end but its what I have now and will be running untill they spill there guts on the road.
That was the run down so you guys know where I am headed with the build,and leads me up to my next question: I am wanting to run a linked rear suspension with coils. What would be the best route for my car 2,3,or 4 link and a panhard ? Maybe just some latter bars ?
I am building the car as a HotRod,and thats how it will get treated.
Friday night cruises,and a a trip or 2 a month to the strip to play around.
0-60 is my thing so....

Cord,
I used a MII front on my '41 Ford PU... I love the way they handle but am running fenders. A spooled rear may not be much fun as a street car but that is your choice. Same for the rear end setup. I used a dual leaf setup with a QC rear & big tires but a 4 link will definitey hold the rear in place for those red-lite blasts! Let us know what you decide!

BoB

I am not positive that I want to run a link system vs. leafs in the rear and am looking for the pros/cons of each so I can make up my mind and get it rolling.

I ran leaf springs on the '53 in my avatar to keep it simple, cheap and "period".
I bought a spring kit from TCI (Posie's springs) $500. The rear of the truck kept loosing height. In a month it sagged 2". Bad springs? Bed too heavy?

To solve the problem I had a local spring shop make and install new springs $500. Of course, they didn't weigh the truck. Now I have too much spring and a stiff, bouncy ride. (I have a Jag rear to put under it when I get some time.)

At this point, I'm convinced a 4 or 3 link is cheaper and easier to dial in than leaf springs, especially if you can build the 4 link yourself. Not too many of us can re-arc a leaf spring, but anyone can adjust coil overs and getting a different spring rate is only about $80.

At any rate, my experience says - weigh the rear axle and get the appropriate springs the first time.

If you build a 4 link do an internet search and find a 4 link calculator to get the mounting points correct - don't just wing it.

Thanx for the reply. The calculator is a good tip that never crossed my mind. I was just gonna search the net for some build like mine and go from there as a starting point.

Latest posts

Back