If they show the interest!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewski

For those of you that have children or grandchildren, I hope if they show the interest in your hobby, you let them get their hands dirty and show them how to do "stuff". Seems that most kids these days would rather play video games or hang at the mall.

My son never did show any interest in the car hobby, but my grandson is going to be a real motorhead. He's always wanted to get in there and try something. I've taught him to mig weld, tig weld, and he recently came and spent a week with us and we did a little paint work. I showed him the basics in flame layout and handed him a test panel. Here's what he came up with.

Oct09001.jpg

Oct09004.jpg

Oct09005.jpg

Oct09010.jpg

He was afraid he might shoot a "Flow Check" in the clear so he wanted me to shoot the clear.

Oct09012.jpg

Now his first flame job is hanging on the wall in his bedroom.......and he wants an airbrush for Xmas.

Drewski

yep, i second that! if there's interest, by all means encourage it....but also remember if there is no interest-don't force them into this hobby-just try to find something you can both enjoy....(for my oldest its guitar)

those flames look really good, too btw....[cl [cl [cl [cl

i was showing out one day in my 66 f-100 burning the tires with my boys in there, well my wife had a fit (naturally), saying i was gonna pay for that someday when they got old enuf to drive my response then was same as now-if hotrodding is the worst thing my kids do (spinning tires, doin' "donuts") then i'll consider myself a successful parent!!:D

HRP

That's really good to see Drewski and good for both of you I think. I was hoping I could teach my boys what little I know, and they would pick up the ball and take off, but up until recently, that hasn't really been the case. Now my oldest son who is 16, is really showing some interest and is starting to spend some time with me in the shop. Just today he told me that he would like to start a project together. I was happy about that.

That's really good to see Drewski and good for both of you I think. I was hoping I could teach my boys what little I know, and they would pick up the ball and take off, but up until recently, that hasn't really been the case. Now my oldest son who is 16, is really showing some interest and is starting to spend some time with me in the shop. Just today he told me that he would like to start a project together. I was happy about that.

That's great!! Hope to see you and your son's project in the build section in the near future.

Drewski

Latest posts

Back