if you can,t do metaiwork your not a rodder?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30sx

seems to be a trend that any metalwork done to your car must be of the highest quality to be considered now a days, some other site,s i watch prasie the owners that can make a quarter panel from scratch as near gods! to me rodding is more about building the whole car not a pro video on sheet metal work[ p.s. i,m not afraid of bondo][;) opinion,s welcome[P

Hot rodding is a hobby! As long as you're doing things in a safe manner and having fun, it's all good IMO! [cl

Toad

some

some sites are that way, but we don't say negative things, if they want to run it that way, there choice.

l can do some metal work, but ain't no expert.

there are some here who could make a tin can into a work of art.

the "traditional" rods on other sites may considered a rat here, it's just personal preference.

the hobby should be fun if ya take it to serious, ya lose the meaning of why were all here.

Later:cool:

Well if everyone could be a sheet metal god, what would there be to learn?
I'm not terrible with metal, but I'm no expert by far, learning a bit as I go and I have a long way to go yet on learning and equipment to make things come out how they should.

For me it's about the build itself, no individual area should get more attention than another(outside of safety). To me its the big picture, the vision, and how it comes together in the end that matters most to me. You can have a zillion dollars wrapped up into a build, and it might look horrible you know?

One of the things I dig about this site is everyone is so casual and that affords each of us the ability to be creative and think outside the box without fear of being ridiculed. There is little to no criticism outside of a safety concern and that's how it should be. There are many sheet metal gods on this site, and everyone has their area of expertise but maybe they can't use a paint gun, or maybe they can't do wiring...

And on the bondo thing, there is not a show car out there that doesn't have filler on it to make it flat. Even factory original panels were never as flat as what the show cars are...

People say lots of stuff and most of it is BS anyway...

I have been all over a few of the original cars from back in the day and truthfully most of them never had metal work done to the quality that you see today.
I have seen pics of Sam Barris's Mercury in the nude and there is lead all over it. And not just where he made the mods. And he was one of the original "Gods". lol
Do it your self to the best or your abilities. Make it safe! Learn something along the way and have FUN. As long as you are happy with it everyone else can go to h***.:eek: :)
Torchie.

As said, rodding is the ability to express ones self in a manner that sometimes only that person themselves understand :confused: :)
I like doing what I'm capable of, I can assure you the so called Gods, did some sh**ty work before they were able to put something out that others liked. Quality only come from doing something over and over and over [;)
I like seeing the different ideas come to life and if you get criticized, it's usually from a person who can't do what you've just attempted ;)
You can tell by the Rules of The Road thread, that this site was conceived from the fact you can have a forum that helps others develop without being an ass about it :cool:
Do what you can and work at what you can't :)

i dont even know how to weld.
i can do a roller/rattlecan paint job with the worst of em tho........

I am barely a rank amateur tin bender but it's still the part I love the most. I don't have any way to make curvey stuff so I find pieces from old hoods ect. that match the curve I need for a patch panel. I do have a cheap Harbor Freight bead roller that comes in handy.

I think you guys really hit the nail right on the head with the comments that have been said here. I'm working on my first build and I have learned so much that I would do it all again in a heartbeat. My metal working skills are novice status but hell the only way to get better is by trying and practicing. My welding skills are decent just because I've been practicing that for years now. When it comes to panel beating I just have simple tools but without being able to understand and use them high dollar tools would be worthless to me. This forum is such a great place to be. everyone is so polite and the only time I really see criticism is when it comes to safety. That's the way it should be. At the end of the day being able to say that you built something and show it off is really a huge reward. Not to mention all the knowledge you gain from that.

-Chris

In my book. If a guy can't work metal and has to have someone else do the work, he still is a rodder if he gives credit where credit is due.

I just can't stand guys who pass off someones work for their own.

seems to be a trend that any metalwork done to your car must be of the highest quality to be considered now a days, some other site,s i watch prasie the owners that can make a quarter panel from scratch as near gods! to me rodding is more about building the whole car not a pro video on sheet metal work[ p.s. i,m not afraid of bondo][;) opinion,s welcome[P

with my metal skills I had to learn how to get along with bondo [S

29-06-12_193.jpg29-06-12_193 (1).jpg I have no clue on how to work a bender or any other sheet metal machine ,, but when I need something bent ,, I do it the best way I can with what I can get a hold of .. I done this with an orange plastic hammer (I think was a wood floor installing hammer) and a steel bottom roll around buggy .. It worked for me and Im happy with it so its all good :D

Oh, and about the negative comments on this site .. I am very pleased with all the kindness and consideration of every one on here ,, thats one reason Im on here now .. I dont do drama very well .. Thank you all for the respect you show on here to everyone .

I kinda get why people look up to someone who is able to take a piece of metal and turn it into something you are amazed at..........it is a skill not everyone has, and it takes years and years of practice and desire to get to that point.

Personally, I am the kind of guy who gets a car to a certain level of niceness and then I call it good. But my Son Dan is a perfectionist to the nth degree. He works at making each weld pretty and each part he builds is ground smooth so that you never knew any work was done to it........even on parts that will never show. But it is because he LOVES making stuff and making it as perfect as possible.

Just last night I was looking at the Mustang his is building and he has taken several nights to make little metal pieces that fit all of the holes in the engine room. (and the Fox Mustangs have a zillion holes in there for various things). Then he welded each piece into each hole and ground it smooth. The engine room now looks like a bar of soap, it is that smooth. The underside of the car will be just like that and it will never be seen, but he knows it is there.

I don't have the patience or desire to do that kind of stuff, but I really admire it when I see someone who did take the extra time and effort to go beyond what I could ever do in my life. Just like I love to see some talented musician who can make an instrument do things that most of us could never do in a million years.

Don

Well said donsrods,, my thoughts too .. I get to a point on my stuff , and its like well it works , and Im good with that .. so let it be .. I dont have the patience either . But im ok with that ..

Bead roller :D

Attachments

• IMG_20130711_105808.jpg
    IMG_20130711_105808.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20130711_105739.jpg
    IMG_20130711_105739.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20130607_145854.jpg
    IMG_20130607_145854.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20130607_144712.jpg
    IMG_20130607_144712.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20130607_144701.jpg
    IMG_20130607_144701.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20130607_183854.jpg
    IMG_20130607_183854.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 25
I do like things to reflect the best of my expertise. One thing I know how to do is weld, or at least I know what's right and what's not. I will not leave a sloppy or poor weld anywhere, even if it isn't structurally critical. And yes, I do grind a few out and re-do them. The grinder is my friend, I have 7-8 of them with all sorts of different discs.

Latest posts

Back