If you could own one famous car....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a bit more partial to the 60s-70s...
So for me it would probably be the Challenger from Vanishing Point

vanishingpoint2.jpg

I think I was in Refference to the 48 tucker.
Very few ever produced in US.

RoddingRon,
I kinda figured someone would research it.
Thanks.

I knew about the 48 for quite a while, but just recently heard about the 55 plans. I thought maybe that's what you were talking about...but for those who are interested below is a link to pictures of the 51 Tuckers produced and one extra that was never finished at the factory (bought and finished up after the fact)

http://www.tuckerclub.org/html/see_a_tucker.php

Also if you really want one but don't want to pay the $200,000 to $700,000 that a real one costs....there are fiberglass copies available for you to build as you want

JM34outside.jpg

tonyharmerrear34.jpg

Again...some more of the worthless information that occupies the space between my ears:confused:

FYI..Tuckers were '48 only!
How about Barris' Blue Danube!:cool:

He was talking about the Tucker concept car in the drawing. I don't think it ever got off the drawing board though.
Opps, I guess someone already said that.
Well, I was just thinking if I was stinking rich I would do something obscene like buy one of the type 41 Bugatti's and chop&channel it into the weeds and drive the pee out of it. And just to amuse myself buy the most expensive Corvette I could find and put a Ford side oiler in it, or a restored Hemicuda convertable and put a Studebaker flathead six in it, stuff like that.
I might even buy one of those fugly stupid looking Roth cars and plant flowers in it in my lawn, probably the toilet rod or the pool table one.

Last edited:
My 1st choice would have to be the 67 Camaro from Better Off Dead and I would be blasting "Mannish Boy" thru the stereo looking for street races with the local Howard Cosell wanna be's :)

The car is alive and well at www.betteroffdeadcamaro.com

My 2nd choice if I am allowed one would be the Munsters Dragula.

Wait Scratch the first two the one and only car would have to be Christine!!!!! That way if I get a fender bender or scratch she will fix herself and go hunt down the perpatraitors, no insurance needed :)

I dont have just one, If i won the Pwer Ball, I would build a replica of every car in American Grafitti, even the Le Car that Richard Dreyfus drove, then I would build a replica of Als Drive in, and open it up to the public. then I would start building copies of all the cars from my youth, Generela lee, starsky and hutch, the A team van, Hell I might even build Kit from Knight rider.

Pablo

I had not responded yet because I like too many cars. It's too hard to choose. It seems like most of my favorite cars are race cars like the Pierson Brothers Coupe, the Chrisman Coupe, or the Mooneyham ans Sharp 334 Fuel Coupe. But I decided to narrow it to famous cars that could be driven on the streets. Although there are some not so famous cars that I might choose over these, I'll go with these two.....at least for today.

The California Kid because it had such an early influence on me and it's a car I've consistantly liked over the years. I like the movie version as pictured with the steel wheels over the Halibrands that it wore before and after the movie.

And Cadzilla. I've seen this car in person and it is nothing short of stunning.

I have die cast replicas of both cars.:D

what amazes me is not 1 tucker met with calamity. what are the odds of that. every one still round. i myself was going to say exactly what bonehead already said. sell the most expensive car in the world and buy a whole bunch of my favorite cars, and build some too.

Injured Tuckers

what amazes me is not 1 tucker met with calamity. what are the odds of that.

Actually of the 50 cars produced plus the test car that they called the Tin Goose (play on Howard Hughes Spruce Goose?) and the one that was never finished at the factory, but finished up afterwards....three cars did meet untimely ends.

Car #18 was involved in a crash in 1953. Some of the body panels were used on car 27

1018frontremains.jpg

Car 23 was burned and lost in a fire. The remains were "buired" under the garage of a TACA (Tucker Automobile Club of America) founding member

1023jonesremains.jpg

Car 27 actually wasn't totally destroyed....it was involved in a test crash at Indy. A lot of the safety features actually worked the way they were designed to...including the seat belts that Preston Tucker made mandatory in his cars when none of the big three even thought about them. The car was sold at auction with the front clip from #18 above as well as some other usable body panels, two extra motors, and other misc pieces.

1027.jpg

1027_1.jpg

Car # 42 is the one that totally disappeared...here is the info right from the TACA

Notes: Found abandoned along the banks of the Mississippi River in Memphis, Tenn. It had been totally destroyed, however a Memphis Policeman had the remains towed to his residence and while he was in the hospital recovering from injuries from a motorcycle accident the remains disappeared. He feels it was sold to a junk dealer but we have never actually located any part of this car other than parts of the transmission.

Latest posts

Back