I'm from South Africa...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neophyte

I've been a member of the HAMB for a while now and only now came across this site.

I'm currently finishing off a '53 Chevy 210 4dr and recently started a '34 Chevy sedan. Waiting in the queue is a '52 Chevy DeLuxe 4dr and a '54 Chevy Bel-Air 4dr.

Welcome to the site. Glad you found us. I'd love to go over to the HAMB and see your car, but....uh huummm....kinda banned for life:eek:

That was a lot of fun reading your thread on the buildup of your '34. I like it, especially the little custom touches like the coil cover..........really neat.:D Welcome to our little family.

I gotta ask, how in the world is is to build a car in someplace like S. Africa? I mean, we Stateside rodders have a tough time sometimes getting some parts, especially old timey stuff. I can't imagine how you do it so far removed from what I imagine are the main sources of parts for your car. How about cost of the parts, and shipping must be something else?

My hat is off to you and guys in other places around the world who do this sort of thing.

Don

Welcome to the site. Glad you found us. I'd love to go over to the HAMB and see your car, but....uh huummm....kinda banned for life:eek:
Thanks. It's nearly time for me to go work (7:13am here now) so I'll post some pics here later today.
That was a lot of fun reading your thread on the buildup of your '34. I like it, especially the little custom touches like the coil cover..........really neat.:D Welcome to our little family.

I gotta ask, how in the world is is to build a car in someplace like S. Africa? I mean, we Stateside rodders have a tough time sometimes getting some parts, especially old timey stuff. I can't imagine how you do it so far removed from what I imagine are the main sources of parts for your car. How about cost of the parts, and shipping must be something else?

My hat is off to you and guys in other places around the world who do this sort of thing.

Don
Thanks Don. Well, sometimes it can get a bit frustrating especially if you want to restore back to original and you need many parts. We've got a few guys that "collect" cars and parts for reselling to guys like us. One or two of them are in it for the money but most are for keeping the hobby alive. I'll post a thread tonight of the one guy's lot where he's got quite some stuff.
Yeah, if parts need to be shipped from the States it can get expensive, especially when it's heavier items. For instance a headlight trim ring can cost anything from $15 to $30 in shipping, depending on what method is used.

Welcome!!!

Neophyte,
Welcome to the forum & glad u found us! Really nice work there & I definitely look forward to seeing more! Make u're self @ home, lots of great folks around here! Always very interested in seeing what people in other places have to go though to be in the hobby!

BoB

Thats a fine machine you are building there.

I see that you are designing some parts in cad.
Do you have more? Love to see them.

Where abouts in S Africa?

Very interesting build, keep us well posted.:D

Thanks guys. I appreciate the welcoming and the compliments. I'll most definitely keep you guys updated on my progress.
Maddog - No I haven't got any worthwhile stuff at the moment. BTW, I use eMachineshop to design my stuff. I'm in the Johannesburg area.

Car club!

Neophyte,
Dude... I checked out your car club site & u guys have some rockin' rides there! I'm very impressed!!! I also thought one of the ads was funny... American car parts for sale! Oh well... everyone knows I'm easily amused!!! ; - >

BoB

I was just checkin out your club's site. Some really nice cars on there. My favorite by far was the 37' Terraplane from Piet Kok. Cool car!

Thanks again guys. You all make me feel really welcome. I haven't been spending much time on my '34 the last few weeks but it's more due to other commitments and work pressure making me a bit tired. BUT, after all the compliments from you guys that checked out my build progress, it's got me all fired up again. I was going to get a few parts laser cut before the industry closes for the holiday season this coming Friday but they had issues with my DXF files (beginning to wonder if it's not their software). So, I'm now gonna fabricate those parts myself. It's not going to be 100% as neat but I'm sure as heck gonna try my best.
Yeah, Piet Kok's '37 Terraplane is one of my favourites too. If I can get more guys in the club to play along I can get some more member's cars posted on my site.
The one thing I'd like to do is to sit and create a build thread here on this forumn too so that you guys don't have to go over to the HAMB all the time.
Also, I'm not too sure if the "Rat Rod & Hot Rod Fotos" category is the right place to post the pics of the two local places where the guys gather cars and parts for resale.

Latest posts

Back