in line fuel pump for a efi?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Wallbanger

I cant seem to find what size fuel pump I need for my 2.3 efi ford. even speedway techs just talked about a carbed one. any ideas

Im not sure what the fuel rail pressure is on that. I had a 89 ford van that was FE I6 and used a inline pump on the frame just under the drivers seat.May could use something like that.

The fuel pressure on a stock 2.3 efi is 40 PSI. You do not want to go over 45 PSI on the stock system. If you are looking to upgrade they are using 60 psi with upgraded parts. If you talk to the guys that are playing with the 2.3 they can lead you in the right direction.

EFI Inline pump

Any late 80's to early 90's ford truck with the main pressue pump on the frame will work, all efi pumps will pump around 65psi, the pressure regulator on the fuel rail adjust the pressure on the rail, it opens and closes to maintain a set pressure at the injectors, the only bad thing about the main pump on the frame is it is a pushing pump not a pulling pump, those trucks have a small pusher pump in the tank, if you keep it close to the tank and use a bottom feed gravity tank like an old vw bug tank or a new bottom feed fuel cell (the fuel line comes out the bottom) you will be fine. Dont forget you need a return line to the tank. PS. if you go used, get 1 that just came in, this new fuel we have today, after it sits for 6 months and you add new gas, it turns into tar.

thanks guys

well I`ll try a 45psi pump since it does already have that regulator on the rail. I looked online quite a bit and only found one instance where a guy mated it to a bug tranny for his baja. and yes they will be bottom feed YAHTZEE! it looks like after about 45psi the price sky rockets.

Not to sure that the treaded end with the holes on the side wont cause you problems.Look this one up its the ones off the Fords part# E2000

thanks sneaky

Ill look it up. just trying to find one under 100 is tuff. wondering if a carb would be cheaper in the long run. oh well if it wont run ill at least have some efi stuff to sale haha. I was hoping to trash that weird two hole end and put a normal on in it but who knows what the thread would be.

I've used the E2000 on several Rock Crawling buggies with good success just besure and have a good return line so the pump doesn't run in a strain.

As long as the rated pressure for the pump is higher than the engine requires your good. The rating on a pump refers to the flow vs pressure, not just pressure(look at the flow vs pressure specs). Remember the "Pressure Regulator" on the fuel rail controls the pressure for the injection system, Not the pump. Since tank mounted pumps seem to last longer check out http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm , good products and good prices with customer service to boot. They have tank/pump setups to fit most any pre 70's vehicle. They have universal setups too, take note of the fuel tray which is necessary to prevent fuel starvation.
If you still go with a remote mount tank be sure and use a prefilter between the tank and pump. A prefilter is as important as a primary filter! I found a filter for a Dodge mini van that has hose connections on both ends and a bracket for mounting from Wix. Don't forget fuel injection hose and clamps are unique too.

Latest posts

Back