Increase the HP

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

I am probably going to get the 290hp crate engine from GM. What would be the easiest way to increase the HP 10 more horses?

Thanks for all ideas.

can i ask why you want 10 more HP???

if you're buying a new crate engine why mess with it? remember HP ratings are measured at PEAK RPM, you won't notice 10 HP under most driving conditions. why don't you just tell people you've got a 300 HP engine and be done with it???[S

I am probably going to get the 290hp crate engine from GM. What would be the easiest way to increase the HP 10 more horses?

Thanks for all ideas.

Johnny, I am not familar with the crate engine your going to use, but it sounds like stock heads and intake. If it is a stock intake, you can pick up
10+ with a good steet Edelbrock intake. If you want try for 30+, go for the E- Street heads and intake, add roller rockers and pickup a couple of more hp.
The good thing about the 290 hp 350 ci ? engine is, anything you do will
help it. If you are a good tuner, you could pick up 10 hp with the carb and
timing. If you go with either the intake or heads, be sure to check the port match. All the little stuff helps.

good luck,

can i ask why you want 10 more HP???

if you're buying a new crate engine why mess with it? remember HP ratings are measured at PEAK RPM, you won't notice 10 HP under most driving conditions. why don't you just tell people you've got a 300 HP engine and be done with it???[S

Yeah, I guess I could do that.

Thanks

Johnny, I am not familar with the crate engine your going to use, but it sounds like stock heads and intake. If it is a stock intake, you can pick up
10+ with a good steet Edelbrock intake. If you want try for 30+, go for the E- Street heads and intake, add roller rockers and pickup a couple of more hp.
The good thing about the 290 hp 350 ci ? engine is, anything you do will
help it. If you are a good tuner, you could pick up 10 hp with the carb and
timing. If you go with either the intake or heads, be sure to check the port match. All the little stuff helps.

good luck,

Good ideas. I was thinking about using the street performer intake and a 625 cfm carb. I'm not sure if I want to mess with cam, yet. Maybe later.

Thanks for your ideas

A good set of headers and low restriction mufflers to go with the Edelbrock intake and carb could give you a nice power increase. Don't mess with the cam, might hurt milage.:D

I know the engine you are considering, been looking at it for a while in the Jegs catalog. It's a good value for the money, but the main thing hurting it having more HP is the compression ratio............it's down around 8.5 to 1. The cam is hotter than their 260 hp base engine but still on the mild side. Both the 260 and 290 engines were basically made to be replacement engines, with the 290 version having a little more umph.

Best thing you could do with either one would be to put a good dual plane intake on it with a 500-600 cfm carb, some free flowing headers, and a decent distributor. Coupled with some gears in the 3.50 range it will make a nice street performer............not a scorcher, but nothing to be ashamed of.

Don

Latest posts

Back