Independent Suspension Car Trailer ??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA41

Anyone seen/built an independent suspension trailer?

I told my son I'd pay for the parts to build a 3 axle 26' car hauler, if he'd do the work.. (Yeah--shot my mouth off).. I priced the material--!!!!! Couple $K+!!

I've got a bunch of Dodge D-50 front suspensions-- 8-10 pairs..Wheels tires, springs, brakes -- everything. I was thinking about a tripple axle IFS trailer. After all--he's doing all the work---

Anyone seen anything like that?

Thanks..

PA41

I don't know if you would want your load weight shifting from side to side. Or would it work similar to a straight axel with springs ?

It would take more than 3 sets to make a car trailer. they really aren't meant for much payload and I think it would raise the center of gravity too much. Most trailer supply places should be able to tell you how much capacity you need. torsion axles function independently.

I really like my trailers stiff and their movement predictable. We use torsion axels for ours so every tire move up and down by itself without affecting the other tire. Who knows you maybe on to some thing if nobody tries we won'tget far in life.

I don't think there would be an issue with weight shifting from side to side , It just seems a whole lot more labor intensive , but I think it would be a smoother ride for sure . the weight factor on the front suspensions would concern me the most. [S [S

Best to just buy a set of dexter axles and suspension, cheaper,lighter, easy to get parts for and lasts forever. Oh yea " dont use car tires " also if your dead set on independen suspension get dexter torsion bar axles. For a car trailer use minimum 3.5k rated axles each.....

I have 2 torsion axle trailer projects going right now. One was an older travel trailer and even has shocks on all 4. The other has a pair of 7000# Dexter torsion axles with 8 hole wheels. These axles have a lot of advantages as in ease of building but the are bouncing suckers and most of them I have pulled seem to hammer the crap out of the tow vehicle. Be aware that with 3 axles you are dragging at least one set of tires sideways alot on short turns. 2 heavier axles are much better than 3 lighter ones.
I do like the idea of independant but I am wondering where it will all fit unless you are building the trailer higher like a deck over.
The best car trailer I have had was a cheap factory made one from Kearney in Texas. I pulled that trailer all over the country. It was a light trailer, had 2 3500# axles, and rode real good, even empty. I also had one I really liked many years ago. I built that one as a very low tilt bed. It had no springs at all, just center pivot walking beams with Rambler spindles on each end.

I agree with Willowbilly. I have an "economy" model with 2 axles. It's made by a company in Pa. I have been all over the country with it and also use it as a multipupose carryall for construction. I even carried a 41 foot steel I-beam once (don't ask).I'm not sure about the independant style though, it's probably cheaper to just buy a pair of axles or else buy a used trailer like I did. $900.00. The one I have is 15 years old too! And don't forget.....USE TRAILER TIRES, NOT CAR TIRES!!!:D.CR....good to see ya back WB!!

Thanks for the feed back fellas--You've talked me out of the DIY 3 axle rigg--I'll just go buy him a couple standard axles and some iron. Just trying to be a cheepskate..

He'll be pleased--[;)

PA41

I don't think it would be to high and the ride would be softer most definitly, I built a utility trailer out of a caviler rear axle and the thing floats over bumps. the smoother riding coils verses the stiff riding leafs is very noticable. and you don't get all that jerckingaround back there, even when the trailer is empty.I carried almost 2000 pounds with it last weekend. brought about 7 engins to the scrap yard. weight was 1859 pounds. two sets would be just fine. I would mount them just like mustang II suspention just outside the frame rails and low. if you don't try it I will.

Latest posts

Back