Info on New Mexico

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I'm getting tired of 7 months of winter. I've been thinking about moving and I've always wanted to check out New Mexico. Maybe a small town not too close to the border. Someplace with trees where folks are friendly. Any recommendations?

Not so sure about the boarder area. I've considered either the ares around Sante Fe or just over the boarder in Co. near Gunnison. I hunted elk in Uncompahgre National Forest, beautiful area. Plenty of Spruce & Aspens. Up around 7K ft. the weather doesn't get the big extremes we get in the midwest.
Sante Fe temps run 20 to 90 degrees. Gunnison run 14 to 80.

If you get out there and find you have an Elk problem, I'd be happy to come out and give you a hand. :D

Come down and give me a call. I'll show you all the really nice parts of the state. Santa Fe won't be included as one of the inhabitable possibilities IMHO.
Tourist attraction only.

The thing about NM is if you need to make a living you need to be near a city.
Not much work in the small towns.

I'm only a year away from SS so I wouldn't need to make a ton of money if I could find an affordable place to live, hence small town. And by small I mean small, 1000 people or so. Maybe less. I-R, might take you up on that.
I'm also tempted by Washington,west side Puget sound area because my daughter is moving there. I love the area and the mild weather but the tin is all rusty and it's not much for roadster weather.

Edgewood NM where I live we have trees. Half an hour from ABQ and an hour from Santa Fe. Rural area quiet and peaceful. Days drive to Denver or Phoenix if you want to go to the big city.

Edgewood NM where I live we have trees. Half an hour from ABQ and an hour from Santa Fe. Rural area quiet and peaceful. Days drive to Denver or Phoenix if you want to go to the big city.

Is that far enough from ABQ? Just wondering if 1/2 hour drive is enough buffer zone from a city that size. I know with Dallas, 1/2 hour drive is barely into the suburbs but with Seattle you can be in a small rural community.

Not so sure about the boarder area. I've considered either the ares around Sante Fe or just over the boarder in Co. near Gunnison. I hunted elk in Uncompahgre National Forest, beautiful area. Plenty of Spruce & Aspens. Up around 7K ft. the weather doesn't get the big extremes we get in the midwest.
Sante Fe temps run 20 to 90 degrees. Gunnison run 14 to 80.

If you get out there and find you have an Elk problem, I'd be happy to come out and give you a hand. :D

The northwest corner of NM is very attractive. As far as Gunnison, Uh 14 is pretty generous. It is quite often the lowest temp in the country well into the minus temps. My wife lived there a few years and didn't care for the winters that dipped well into the minus 20's to minus 30's or more.

If you are thinking the Pacific Northwest, the rain in the Seattle area can be a bit brutal as well. One area that is not to far from Seattle that is full of trees, close to the ocean and still gets a lot of sun is the town of Sequim Wa. It's a few hours from your daughter but the area is way more mild. Maybe a little too populated for what you are talking but there are lots of out lying places you could check out. We've been thinking of a move there ourselves.

undercover customs- Those temps ranges came from a weather service website.

So I went back and found a better site Weather Warehouse. Yes, Gunnison does have low temp history in the last 20 years.

Last edited:
WB, you could consider Prescott AZ. Mild 4 seasons in beautiful country. People just walk up and start talking. Bandstand in the square with Whiskey Row saloons on the west Just look at what you would be near on the map. Cottonwood is a cool place. Jerome is ghost town/drinkin' crusing destination. :D Flagstaff is a lively college town and smells like pine trees. Sedona is world famous and an easy cruise (weekdays).
Find a vortex that resonates with you and feel the force pushing up out of the ground. :D I did! Beautiful winter weather relief anytime you want right down the hill. (i have a spare bedroom) Here is a link to the car scene.Type Prescott in the search box.

http://desertcruisers.com/index.php

The northwest corner of NM is very attractive. As far as Gunnison, Uh 14 is pretty generous. It is quite often the lowest temp in the country well into the minus temps. My wife lived there a few years and didn't care for the winters that dipped well into the minus 20's to minus 30's or more.

If you are thinking the Pacific Northwest, the rain in the Seattle area can be a bit brutal as well. One area that is not to far from Seattle that is full of trees, close to the ocean and still gets a lot of sun is the town of Sequim Wa. It's a few hours from your daughter but the area is way more mild. Maybe a little too populated for what you are talking but there are lots of out lying places you could check out. We've been thinking of a move there ourselves.

Sequim/PA is a nice area. Even Port Townsend gets a lot less rain the Seattle I think. I lived in Port Hadlock for a year and loved it, especially walking the beach every day. And I might end up retiring there if that's where my daughter settles down after college. I've just wanted to check out the less humid places and have felt drawn to New Mexico and Arizona. I have been across Arizone from Texas a few times and Flagstaff looked like the only part fit for humans along that route.
By small town, I'd prefer one too small for Malwart or MikkyDees. But I realize they are everywhere.

Santa Fe real estate is pretty pricey. Too many rich Hollywood types live there. Nice place to visit.

OK I can understand that.

We are all from different areas and we have different perspectives. My county has more people that the State of Alaska. I use to laugh when Sarah Palin would get all full of herself. Our county board president position is a PT job. ;)

I've never been very impressed by anyone's financial status or "fame". The way I see we all flush the toilet they same way. I am impressed by people's character.

One thing I will credit Rich Hollywood folks with, I've never once worried about one of them breaking in my house at night. :D

I've travelled almost every state west of Indiana. As far as views and awesome weather I would say Arizona has been my favorite so far with Colorado and New Mexico tied for second. I don't know much about the economy because I'm just passing thru them mostly so I'm not much help there.

Latest posts

Back