Insurance

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They all ask for pictures, after all, they are basically taking your word that the car is worth XXXXXX amount of money, so they need to verify it as best as they can. No big deal, you shoot a few front, side, interior, motor pictures and email them. We all take a bunch of pictures of our cars anyway, so what's the big deal ? :confused: Think about it, in my case I called them and am asking them to take my word my Son's car is worth $50,000.00. They are in business and need to make that decision as intelligently as possible, so a few pictures are not too much to ask.

The other requirement is that you have a secure garage or storage facility for your car, which I understand too. Parking a Honda Civic in the driveway is dangerous enough, but if you park a nice hot rod or classic car outside you might as well put a flashing neon sign on it saying "Steal Me Please !"

Just send them the pictures they are asking for and sleep good at night knowing you will have good coverage if the unthinkable happens.

Don

it was more like her not believing me that I park them in the garage. So she asked and I was honest with her saying since i was restoring them I had to use part of the garage for tools and space to work, so I pull one out sometimes to work. I have a portable garage as well that I keep the car that gets put outside in. So even though they have a list of choices of how you store your car, she informed me the only acceptable answer is a secured garage. She basically told me that i had to empty my garage and park all the cars in there and take a picture, so i told her never mind. I'd love to have a huge garage big enough to house 3 cars plus take them apart and have space to work, but that's not an option right now. I listed 2 as in progress restoration so not sure how she thinks that is going to happen.
Also when she mentioned my plymouth and merc she was upbeat, when she would mention the...uh...uh..umm...ford....she sounded just like that....so guess they wouldn't insure that one anyway.

Not trying to take their side here, but the insurance companies have to take "reasonable risks" otherwise they would go out of business. They realize that cars do occasionally get parked outside, like when we go to a store and stuff like that, but they have to minimize the chances of it getting stolen by asking you to mostly keep it securely locked up.

It could be that you are not a candidate for collector car insurance. Not saying that to say anything bad about you, but they do have certain requirements that not everyone can meet. You may have to just go with conventional insurance and pay the higher rates because of your personal circumstances.

Collector car insurance is cheaper than, say Geico, because the cars they cover are not exposed to the same risks as your daily driver. They are parked most of the time, securely, and only see minimal street time. Because of those factors companies like Haggerty and Grundy can offer rates that are about 60% of what you pay Geico. The gamble every time they insure a car and they have to have the odds in their favor to make a profit.

Don

So this may sound dumb but is hagerty like regular insurance that covers other cars if you wreck???RR

Collision, fire, theft, comprehensive....the whole nine yards

So this may sound dumb but is hagerty like regular insurance that covers other cars if you wreck???RR

You have the same options pretty much as any other insurance...I ensure mine thru hagarty...there are others but taking pictures is common and sometimes, if you go thru an agent locally, they can come out and take the photos.....I get mine thru my wife who is an agent for an independant agency...they have multiple companies they write for and hargerty is one of them....

Latest posts

Back