Interesting Read

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chop509

Infamous Dirty '34
By someone else:

It seems like every year we hear about how traditional hot rods and customs have crawled closer to the minds of the mainstream public. Aside from the references found on tv and in the movies, the most obvious pointer is the price of the parts we use to build these things. While I have been witness to this seemingly huge inflation of prices, I don’t agree that this thing of ours is mainstream and I don’t believe it ever will be.

Why? The hurdle to jump into traditional hot rods and customs is just too tall. To truly understand the passion of a traditionalists takes time. A guy fresh off the streets has to do a ton of research, reading, thinking, and soul searching to really understand what it is that makes a traditional car what it is. Why use early Ford juice brakes when modern discs are cheaper and work better?

All that being said, the general public has taken a liking to what they perceive as being an “old time” hot rod. They saw the primer, the patina, and the character of some traditional hot rods and jumped in with both feet - naive to that hurdle I mentioned above. The result? The ever popular “rat rod”.

This low barrier to entry creates a car with little regard to history. By most definitions, a “rat rod” is a car put together on a serious budget and by any means necessary. The goal for most is to build a car with as little investment as possible aiming at having the most fun possible in the shortest amount of time.

Forget body work. I don’t want that kind of commitment.

Get it stupid low, because all cool cars are low.

Use that slant six in the corner, simply because I have it.

I don’t know what it means, but I love the shape of an iron cross… Throw that on.

It has to have whitewalls, right?

These ”rat rods” have very little to do with traditional hot rods or customs. Some of them come off as a soulless shell inspired by a traditional car but with very little relevancy. Others come off as interesting design studies that simply need to be blown apart and detailed. Both probably provide their owners with a ton of fun. Neither are traditional hot rods.

Traditional cars and ideas to build them take time to incubate. There’s a reason, be it historical or stylistically, that a guy uses a certain set of steel wheel covers or a rare intake on his flathead. A ton of time and money is invested into the overall vision and statement that the car is to make. These cars have a soul that is only developed because of the sacrifice that goes into building them.

There simply is no way around that sacrifice. And it is that pain threshhold that the general public will never be willing to leap over.

Jeff

WELL Said Jeff, and people will never get it and still wonder why we do what we do.it might be a passion for some but its an addiction for me. I think I need to start Hotrods/Ratrods Anonymous......................... NOT GONNA HAPPEN

Jim

Paint!?

People will never get it and still wonder why we do what we do.it might be a passion for some but its an addiction for me. I think I need to start Hotrods/Ratrods Anonymous......................... NOT GONNA HAPPEN

Jim

Guess if *everybody* started diggin rust... I might have to start digging paint again! Ain't happenin'!!!!

BoB

I hear that alot about, "Traditional cars" vs "RatRods". I had an old guy at a show tell me "we never had big tires in the back" I told him "yea, I know, but I do". My Bonehead truck is just that, mine. I did not go down the "traditional" road not just because I am too lazy as suggested above. I had several reasons. The biggest is the time frame. I am not going to put in years of work on one car. I am going to put in years of driving lots of cars.

So the score is, the chrome and polish guys usually do not like rat rods. And now we see division from the traditional guys as well. I'll just keep on doing what I want. Something neither of the other two disiplines can do.

i like the words above but i have to say that in building any car, you wont see the mainstream public jumping in. My 63 truck is still as typical as they get but the average joe won't drive something like that because it takes alot of effort just to keep it driveable. In my mind, even the badly made hot rods are alot of work (which is too bad because if your going to put in the effort you might as well do it right).

To build a restore, or something traditional, even more work. I might do one someday if i need the challenge but right now my truck is one heck of a challenge as it is.

So the score is, the chrome and polish guys usually do not like rat rods. And now we see division from the traditional guys as well. I'll just keep on doing what I want. Something neither of the other two disiplines can do.[/QUOTE]

Very well said Bonehead.I also think alot like that.

hmmmmm....somehow I don't see that happening anytime soon.....just in case though, i'll keep the one i have until i'm 60 years old and then sell it for thousands of dollars, i can see it now:

"Up for auction, the first custom hot-rod ever built be the infamous Joe Halford"

ok, sorry, i'll get back to work now. :eek:

coming from a fella who wasn't there, car isn't traditional, he sure does like to voice his opinion........

These ”rat rods” have very little to do with traditional hot rods or customs.
oldie1.jpg

damn somebody should have told uncle george this back in 1948 so he could have shared "their" vision of what hotrodding was.....

boring........

I've held that position for years, and on various forums. Not all the cars "in the day" were painted, chromed, and had tuck and roll upholstery. Most of the ones I grew up seeing were like the one Oldschoolhotrods just posted. Maybe in some of the places like Southern California were cars done that way, but my earliest recollections and cars I owned were like that roadster.

The very first hot rod I ever saw that came from California was a '32 coupe a local guy in Pittsburgh traded a vette for in about 1970. The value of the vette was about $2500 and his buddies told him he was nuts for wanting the Deuce instead. But this '32 was really well done. Every nut and bolt was chromed, as was the starter, motor mounts, transmission mounts, everything. I ended up with the Olds engine and Cad Lasalle tranny for $ 175. because the guy was putting a 427 Chevy in it, and had no use for traditional motors.

But that car was the exception. Most were done just like rat rodders are doing it today, with limited funds, lots of backyard engineering, and great enthusiasm and fun. Cosmetics took a backseat to performance (speed) and we spent our money on go fast stuff, rather than pretty things. Yeah, some of the cars were really crude (I had a buddy who built a '53 Ford with an old Hemi swapped in. He used short pieces of 2 x 4 lumber for motor mount spacers and ran a bolt through the center :eek: . Everytime he would nail it, the 2 x 4 would crack and fall out :D ) But most went down the road and were a blast to drive.

There will always be prejudices in the car hobby. Restorers hate hot rodders, hot rodders hate rat rodders. American car fans hate ricers. Chevy guys hate Fords. and vice versa. It is just human nature. That is why it is comforting to find a forum like this one where like minded people gather.

While I am not a rat rodder in the truest sense of the word, I do appreciate the art form and back-to-basics philosophy. I find them a whole lot more interesting than row after row of red '32 Ford roadsters all sporting small block Chevys.

Don

If I can find anyone with a working scanner, I can back up oldshool and Don about the appearance of some of the hot rods from back in the day. My dad has a few pics that are similar to the Uncle George photo that oldschool posted. What's cool about those pictures are how happy and proud those guys were of their cars.

What's cool about those pictures are how happy and proud those guys were of their cars.

Amen to that Gastrick. There was a pride in doing something with your own two hands, and America has lost some of that backyard, Father and Son, or buddys doing things together, knowhow.

Everytime we would do some simple little thing to our cars, our buddys would come over and marvel at it. It didn't have to be all polished and all, just cool. I think we have gotten all too serious about stuff anymore, this hobby is supposed to be fun.

Don

Don,
I will 2nd your motion on seeing row after row of basicly the same car. Even though I don't own anything close to a RAT ROD, I think you guy let me hang around cause of my state of mind...:eek: ...

You know, perhaps I am one of those who "don't get it" but what happened to guys who just loved cars? Does it matter if it's rice, or Ford, or Chevy? Not to me it doesn't. I remember growing up as a kid, looking for my first ride, and looking through the local "junkyard" and just dreaming about what could be with some of those cars. Like that old Ford Ranchero, or as irony would have it, the El Camino buried in weeds right next to it. Or maybe it was that 38 four door Buick that was just large and stylish, but completely crumpled in the rear end. When did we become such snobs in this country that we have to put down our fellow American just enjoying what they have, or at least, what they could afford to have. Sillyness.

I can agree with you on that Joker. We should all be encourageing(did i spell that right) these young guys to do what they want with their cars. Even if it is something that we may not do ourselves. Such as the "Rice Burners" we see, or the "Ghetto Fabulous" rides that I see every day that can't turn around in a 40 acre field.(no joke on that either)

When it is all said and done, we are all car enthusiast...

You know, perhaps I am one of those who "don't get it" but what happened to guys who just loved cars? Does it matter if it's rice, or Ford, or Chevy? Not to me it doesn't. I remember growing up as a kid, looking for my first ride, and looking through the local "junkyard" and just dreaming about what could be with some of those cars. Like that old Ford Ranchero, or as irony would have it, the El Camino buried in weeds right next to it. Or maybe it was that 38 four door Buick that was just large and stylish, but completely crumpled in the rear end. When did we become such snobs in this country that we have to put down our fellow American just enjoying what they have, or at least, what they could afford to have. Sillyness.

Joker, I can't speak for others but I think that most of the people on this board enjoy multiple types of cars. I know that I do. Also, if you have noticed, there isn't much hating on others on this board. That's one of the things makes it a great place. It's just that the focus of this board is primarily hot/rat rods so the other cars are not discussed much here. I know what you are saying though, Everthing is so specialized and categorized. And each group thinks that all the other groups "just don't get it". I hate the way that phrase is thrown around. It implies that if someones tastes are different than your own, then the offending party must be a clueless idiot.

Yeah, my comments were just in general, not pointed to anyone here. I don't participate in many forums, but something about RRR just caught me. I think after lurking for a few days I just saw that all the crap that seems prevalent elsewhere didn't exist here. For that I am glad.

I think after lurking for a few days I just saw that all the crap that seems prevalent elsewhere didn't exist here. For that I am glad.

That's why we are all here. Another thing that I think all here have in common is no matter what our rides are, we have great pride in building
it our-selves.

Yeah, my comments were just in general, not pointed to anyone here. I don't participate in many forums, but something about RRR just caught me. I think after lurking for a few days I just saw that all the crap that seems prevalent elsewhere didn't exist here. For that I am glad.

That's pretty much what I was getting at Joker. I didn't think you were talking about anybody here.

Latest posts

Back