International L122 B Binder Rat Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang dude! You always impress me with your work. Cant wait to see the grill all done up. Now get of yer brass and finish it up. Lol great work. RR
Thanks man! I'm pretty impressed with my own work too :mad:
But I can say for fact, if I blasted through this project the way I originally expected, it wouldn't look HALF as good!

Your still alive [cl How clean do you have to get the bars for the brass to stick.

Yep, still kickin. I have just been sitting in the garage staring at the ever growing list of things that need to be completed. :rolleyes:

The bar has to be pretty dang clean. I've just been grinding with a flap disk/bench wire wheel to bare metal.
I don't think it would stick very well with the mill oil under it. But I think I'll try it tonight straight to heat and brass and see what happens.
I'm betting it will change the look of the brass at best since its such a thin layer.

Working on the air cleaner cover again.
It's starting to fit the truck better I think.
Got the bottom connected.
photo-113.jpg

Working on the bars.
photo-114.jpg

Still have 1 bar on each side to add
photo-115.jpg

And it needs to get fully welded to, but you get the idea.
photo-116.jpg

Brass screws hold the top and bottom together.
photo-117.jpg

Bars will become brass like the grill shell.
photo-119.jpg

Any of you familiar with the build thread will know I've been procrastinating on the windshield(s).
I have the origonal one but it's cracked pretty bad so it's not usable.
I made a paper template of the curvature and headed to a couple junk yards today.
photo-124.jpg

I probably put it on a hundred cars just to find that almost every single car, truck, van, big or small, short or tall, came up with the same radius from left to right!!!! Which was too shallow. All of them had about 1/2" gap in the center of the template. :/

Getting frustrated I headed to the next junk yard with paper template in hand.

I was looking in the import section when I came across a 1979 Volvo 240. It looked pretty freakin close! Only 1/8" gap in the center of the template.
I figured this might work, but also thought maybe I can find better.
Then I came across a 1986 Saab 900! Dang near perfect!!!
Right after that I found a 1972 Datsun 280z which was PERFECT!!!!

Since I was working with a paper template, which I found if I don't pull the card paper tight and carefully set on the surface of the glass, I could taint the observation and make it SEEM like said glass would work when in fact, the template was skewed.

SO, I went home to make a wood template with the proper curvature and roughly the right size of the windshield on the rat rod.

Here is the template on the origonal glass:
photo-121.jpg

Roughly the same size as the glass I need:
photo-122.jpg

Even follows the body contour pretty well:
photo-123.jpg

My thinking is that to take this (more rigid) template to the junk yard and check the cars again. The goal is to find a few cars, or at least 2 so I can buy NEW glass, which should be easier to cut. Old glass can be brittle and when cutting can fracture unexpectedly. I want a couple different cars so I can price shop between the two. One might be more expensive then the other, and I have to buy 2 since I can't cut 2 pieces out of 1 windshield.

I'll either try my hand at this myself, or price out through my buddy (who is a glass expert) having it cut to a template I make once I have the windshield rubber in hand.

Believe it or not, both of these cars have almost identicle radius'
photo-125.jpg

photo-126.jpg

My guess is the dautsun will be cheaper as the glass is smaller.

I also got 4 pieces of 1/4" laminated DoT SAFTY glass for the side and rear windows to the tune of $40. It's not tempered, but it's better then any other option for custom glass!
photo-127.jpg

ALSO, for what it's worth, 1991 Isuzu Troopers have perfectly flat windshields just in case anyone is looking for an easy place to find proper flat windshield glass for their project.

Another big thing I've been procrastinating on is, well, ALL the interior sheet metal work! Most of the panels inside didn't line up and I have been DREADING getting in there and burning myself to tie it all together.

Cool thing about these Internationals (I don't know about other trucks of this era) is they just bolt together!

SO, I gave the truck a temporary hair cut and pealed the roof and rear wall back and layed it on the bed to make working on the interior easier.
photo-132.jpg

I had a big hole cut in the floor for the trans to clear, and I cut through one of the main supports holding under the cab making the floor pretty weak. Now that I'm setting up all the systems, I need the cab to stay where it's going to go and not move around every time I get in.
That said, I started working more on the trans tunnel.
Bent up a simple frame around the highest part of the trans where I'll wrap with sheet metal.
I wanted to build the whole frame out of this 3/4" tubing, but I couldn't bend it very well, so for the rear side, I uses 1/2" solid bar.
The sheet metal I'm working with is 16 gauge so once it's all welded together, it should stiffen up the floor quite a bit.

photo-128.jpg

photo-129.jpg

photo-134.jpg

photo-135.jpg

I started using poster board for templating weird shapes. I learned pretty quick that metal is hard to trial and error with. I'm now a firm believer of templating.
photo-136.jpg

photo-138.jpg

photo-139.jpg

photo-140.jpg

I think it's turning out pretty good.
I bought a pre bent trans tunnel dome so I'll have to fill in the bottom at the floor, but that's not a big deal.
photo-141.jpg

While I have the top off, I'm going to work on the abortion that is the inside of the cab. I'll be able to finish the welds and clean up the chopped jambs easier this way.

photo-137.jpg

photo-131.jpg

photo-130.jpg

Wow, you are truckin' right along :eek: Makes me ashamed of my progress :eek:
Love how the scoop and grille turned out and that tunnel work is top notch as well! [cl[cl[cl
Thanks for the flat glass info too, I'll be needing some for my Willys. As for using safety glass for the sides and back just say you are doing it for sound proofing :D My son in-law was noticing the laminated side glass in my '57 Chevy the other day and said that some car makers are now touting laminated side glass as the latest thing in quieter cars like it is something new :rolleyes:

Carry on with the "Cool Binder" :cool:

Wow, you are truckin' right along :eek: Makes me ashamed of my progress :eek:
Love how the scoop and grille turned out and that tunnel work is top notch as well! [cl[cl[cl
Thanks for the flat glass info too, I'll be needing some for my Willys. As for using safety glass for the sides and back just say you are doing it for sound proofing :D My son in-law was noticing the laminated side glass in my '57 Chevy the other day and said that some car makers are now touting laminated side glass as the latest thing in quieter cars like it is something new :rolleyes:

Carry on with the "Cool Binder" :cool:

Im getting there slowly. I have a week where nothing gets done at all then one weekend i get a surge of motivation so i stay up till the wee hours of the night cracking away at something.
Im headed out of town the week after next but the following weekend (weekend of the 23rd) i have vowed to get a battery installed somewhere, build some quick headers, run the fuel line, mount the radiator and get this thing fired up! Pretty dang excited about that!

Next time you roll it outside, take a full side shot of it if you would.

Sure can. Pulling it outside is getting less and less frequent the more stuff I tack onto it. I have a peretty steep driveway and I get embarrassed for the half hour it takes me to lush it back in :rolleyes:

Anything in particular you want to see? Dropped vs ride height or anything?

Here is a pretty recent picture of it at ride height.
photo-172.jpg

It looks a little goofy to me at ride height but I don't know what I can do to make it look better [S

Edit:
Crap. I know what would make it look better. I need the roof front to be chopped 1 more inch :(

This was my first chop so I didn't know chopping the same all the way around would give a nose up look.

Nice build!

I'm not sure if your actually considering chopping another inch, but if you would, I wonder if lowering the front of the roof above the windshield and taking a pie out of the sides of the roof would be easier than cutting all the doors and windshield frame again? I saw that done in a magazine on another truck once anyway so they didn't have to cut the windshield on it at all.

That's a good enough pic. Thanks. I was curious how the front overhang looked. Not bad.

Is your door window taller in the front than the back?

The front of the rear fender kinda throws it off too.... maybe?

Nice build!

I'm not sure if your actually considering chopping another inch, but if you would, I wonder if lowering the front of the roof above the windshield and taking a pie out of the sides of the roof would be easier than cutting all the doors and windshield frame again? I saw that done in a magazine on another truck once anyway so they didn't have to cut the windshield on it at all.

Had to read that a cople times to understand what you were getting at but I see what your saying!
That's a pretty good idea! I might have to look at the truck close and see how much sheet metal work that'll take.

There's always more then one way to skin a cat :)

That's a good enough pic. Thanks. I was curious how the front overhang looked. Not bad.

Is your door window taller in the front than the back?

Yeah, being IFS, I wanted the front edge of the wheels to end up being near the leading edge of the grill to prevent from being rediculed for using an IGS frame :)

I scooted the engine and cab back a foot to help with the proportions. It's not as good as a suicide axle, but it's not as bad as other IFS's :rolleyes:

The back of the side glass is about 1/2" shorter then the front. That's the only thing that would still catch my eye if I did 401ton's fix but I think it would help a ton.

I'm always open for other ideas too.

Crap. I know what would make it look better. I need the roof front to be chopped 1 more inch :(

This was my first chop so I didn't know chopping the same all the way around would give a nose up look.

Ouch, looks like a rechop. With only having to remove 1" out of the front there may be enough flex in the roof, and you might not have to cut the back.

Latest posts

Back