International L122 B Binder Rat Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P.P.S. ya know, you really gotta admire those auto designers! I know all their design is on a computer, and it takes a mere second to modify this or that body line to make it all flow together, but damn, I would NOT want to do that for a living!

Maybe not but i bet youd be a shoe in with the work you do. RR[/QUOTE]

Thanks man! I think it's looking pretty good :)

So......I've been kicking around the idea of running front fenders.
I want some input from everyone, what do you think?

My thinking is using some trailer fenders so they sit tight to the tires, mounting them on the spindles so they turn with the tires. Thinking of utilizing some brackets like I have on the headlights and grill. Two 1/8" plates running front to back, spread about 3" apart with brass machine screws, then some sort of solid bracket bolting the whole thing to the spindles somehow.

Too much?

So......I've been kicking around the idea of running front fenders.
I want some input from everyone, what do you think?

My thinking is using some trailer fenders so they sit tight to the tires, mounting them on the spindles so they turn with the tires. Thinking of utilizing some brackets like I have on the headlights and grill. Two 1/8" plates running front to back, spread about 3" apart with brass machine screws, then some sort of solid bracket bolting the whole thing to the spindles somehow.

Too much?

Feel free to make up a pair and we'll see if we like them....:D

No, see below............

.......using some trailer fenders so they sit tight to the tires, mounting them on the spindles so they turn with the tires. Thinking of utilizing some brackets like I have on the headlights and grill. Two 1/8" plates running front to back, spread about 3" apart with brass machine screws, then some sort of solid bracket bolting the whole thing to the spindles somehow.

Now, dont make fun of my wonderful rendering...... im no artist. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 176.jpg
    176.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 28
Boy, I dunno.......
I started playing with the exhaust tonight. I had just a straight piece of two inch that I was thinking of wrapping with a shorter section of 3" with 1/2" holes drilled all through it, to make it look like A machine gun barrel shroud.

But then I got the idea of splitting the pipe, then adding another plate on top with holes drilled in it. Maybe carry the brass machine screw theme to hold on the "shield"

This is what I've come up with so far, but I'm just not sure about it. Maybe it's too fresh and I'm not used to looking at it.

What do you guys think? What would you change?

Here's the origonal thought.
photo-196.jpg

Before I cut it all up:
photo-191.jpg

photo-192.jpg

photo-193.jpg

photo-194.jpg

Is there such a thing????????

I really am kinda a conservative taste kinda guy. Not big into big, loud things. (what the hell am I doing building this then :) ) so I'm not sure if this is just getting too over the top or not.

Over the top....meaning the winged extension pipe?? I think it looks cool but wonder if it's too much for that area...fits the body line good....but is a lot in a small area... I think it might distract from the rest of the car...i.e. the air cleaner, and the windshield mods...which themselves look cool...can you reduce the radius on the pipe off the header? or maybe go back with it a bit and then down a little closer to the firewall??? wish I could draw it....Just thinking........[S

Over the top....meaning the winged extension pipe?? I think it looks cool but wonder if it's too much for that area...fits the body line good....but is a lot in a small area... I think it might distract from the rest of the car...i.e. the air cleaner, and the windshield mods...which themselves look cool...can you reduce the radius on the pipe off the header? or maybe go back with it a bit and then down a little closer to the firewall??? wish I could draw it....Just thinking........[S

I see what your goin for. I was actually thinking of getting the "wing" under where the cab cuts back, but I dunno.
It is a lot for that small space. I'm almost thinking it looks too straight. Too many straight lines. If I could get it to curve somehow, maybe that would help?

To be honest, I don't like how high it comes up before curving down. I was hoping for the header to be much shorter, so the pipe went tight ove the master cylinder , butmy choices are limited with pre made bends.

Don't get conservative now. I like it as far as looks go.

On the F2stang I measured 110 db at idle with the lakes style headers - with baffles. Earthman's comment: Isn't that kind of like a megaphone?

If you don't like loud, the exhaust needs to go out the back and you need to drive really fast so you can out run it.;)

Don't get conservative now. I like it as far as looks go.

On the F2stang I measured 110 db at idle with the lakes style headers - with baffles. Earthman's comment: Isn't that kind of like a megaphone?

If you don't like loud, the exhaust needs to go out the back and you need to drive really fast so you can out run it.;)

Well.....since you mentioned it, I figure I can slide baffles in the straight part near the top of the pipe. I was kind of hoping the larger area made a more throaty tone.

I'm not sure if this is just getting too over the top or not.

I think it is. The upside-down headers look like, well... upside-down headers. It's just wonky and not working with everything else. I would mount them properly and then run the exhaust down under the frame rail and back up between the back of the tire and the front of the cab. It would have a much cleaner look - more hot rod, less demolition derby. Also, it would help to fill in that big vacant area between the frame and the tire. My $.02

I think it is. The upside-down headers look like, well... upside-down headers. It's just wonky and not working with everything else. I would mount them properly and then run the exhaust down under the frame rail and back up between the back of the tire and the front of the cab. It would have a much cleaner look - more hot rod, less demolition derby. Also, it would help to fill in that big vacant area between the frame and the tire. My $.02

Yeah, I agree. Not really he look I was hoping for.
My origonal plan was to run them tight to the block, then turn them out, run them on the outside of the frame, then either turn out right behind the cab or straight out the back.
Problem is, someone ( :rolleyes: ) installed the engine and steering column in conflicting areas.

You'll see the steering colums comes out pretty dang close to the header
photo-199.jpg

And that dang master cylinder is right in the way too....which is why I thought I should go over the top with the pipes.
photo-197.jpg

photo-198.jpg

P.s. If anyone is wondering why I have my plugs out, went to turn the engine over the other day only to find it froze solid. Totally different subject, but I'm working on figuring out why. I just did a compression test on it a couple months ago and cranked it over at least 10 times to get compression and all was well then.

Here's another view to show what I'm working against.
photo-636.jpg

Just for grins, I flipped the header over to make sure I'm not spinning my wheels for no reason.........DANG IT SARG! It really does look better like this :eek:
photo-1620.jpg

photo-2490.jpg

photo-200.jpg

Well with the header pointing up I say Turbo charger :D

Don't even get me started on THIS subject :) this is for NEXT winter :rolleyes:

photo-243.jpg

I would be tempted to slice and dice that header so the collector passes in front or under the MC. Whack the flange and run 3'' pipe. (or whatever size the collector is) Sweep the 3'' back like you have the 2'' and do a modified baloney cut to match your air cleaner.

Here's another view to show what I'm working against.
photo-1620.jpg

Just for grins, I flipped the header over to make sure I'm not spinning my wheels for no reason.........DANG IT SARG! It really does look better like this :eek:

That looks mucho better! [cl[cl

Don't even get me started on THIS subject :) this is for NEXT winter :rolleyes:

photo-243.jpg

You are missing an essential book, Maximum Boost by Corky Bell I believe...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back