International L122 B Binder Rat Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Needs some advice

So I need some opinions here.
I've currently got a Pontiac th350 trans in place. I just found out that a buddy and his friend will be driving to bonneville salt flats on the way to the Ink N Iron show in long beach ca next year. Then on the way back making a stop in Vegas.
I've been building the truck with the hopes of having a nice comfortable ride, but this trip changes the game a little bit. From denver straight to long beach is a little over 1000 miles. I think I might not like the th350 for a trip of this length.

Does it make sence to go ahead and change the game now and look for a 700r4?
I think the extra .70 final drive would save fuel and keep the rpm's down on the highway.

I'm SO close to having the drivetrain completed its hard for me to take yet another step backwards before making more progress :mad: freakin frustrating!

One of the Othr reasons for going with the th350 was to simplify the install since I've never installed one before. Having to properly setup a TV cable with all the right angles is a touch intimidating. I'm sure once you've done it once, it's not bad but ya know.

I would say stick with the th350 and maybe get some taller tires for the long trip...maybe pick up some used treads? Changing between a th350 to 700r4 for one trip just doesn't make sense to me. Just my $.02.

Are you guys going to Bonneville this year? Or 2013? I'll be driving out this year.

-Troy

I would say stick with the th350 and maybe get some taller tires for the long trip...maybe pick up some used treads? Changing between a th350 to 700r4 for one trip just doesn't make sense to me. Just my $.02.

Are you guys going to Bonneville this year? Or 2013? I'll be driving out this year.

-Troy

Well it wouldn't be for 1 trip but if it's a trip I really like, and I likely will really like it [cl I might make it more then once.
I'm already running some pretty large tires, 28.5" 265/45R20 which will help.
Just figured NOW is the time if I wanna make this decision. I'm about ready to build a driveshaft and I don't wanna make it twice..... Unless its a year apart :D

I really don't have the budget for another trans but if it'll work better in the long run, I better do it.

Do you think the larger tires and the th350 would work okay? I'm new to gearing so I have no idea how it'll run.

My rear end is out of a 68 gmc c15:
"GM CORPORATE 12-BOLT
The stronger 12-bolt, with an 8 7/8-inch-diameter ring gear, can be found in various 1964-82 GM 1/2- and 3/4-ton rearends."

Don't even know what the ratio is in the rear end right now.

Rough estimate, but your rpm at 65 - 70 mph will be around 2300 - 2400 with the th350 with 3.08 gears and 28.5" tall tires. This assumes that your truck isn't very heavy. Other factors as well like rolling resistance, cam, etc, etc.

I say stick with the th350...the 3.08 might not be enough gear for AOD with those tires.

-Troy

Rough estimate, but your rpm at 65 - 70 mph will be around 2300 - 2400 with the th350 with 3.08 gears and 28.5" tall tires. This assumes that your truck isn't very heavy. Other factors as well like rolling resistance, cam, etc, etc.

I say stick with the th350...the 3.08 might not be enough gear for AOD with those tires.

-Troy

This is the info I'm looking for!
2300-2400 isn't too bad. That would drop to 1600 or so with a .70 final drive in a 700r4 right? I'm just guessing I divide 2300 by .70.
If that's right, I would have to agree that those rpm's would be quite low.

I vote for the same t350- The 700R4 would likely kick down into 3rd gear more often than you would like with that kind of rpm range even with the slightest change of resistance, and it would be dropping a gear. If your car is a common bolt pattern- you might try to experiment with some other tire sizes on the next larger rim.

2400 rpm is a good cuising range.

chances are- you will want to make some other changes after your trip, this way you can save the coin for that.
:D

Dang jml!
Just watched yer video. You put a lot of work into that truck
looks killer dude. I'm excited for ya. keep it up. Rr

Dang jml!
Just watched yer video. You put a lot of work into that truck
looks killer dude. I'm excited for ya. keep it up. Rr

Ya know, watching the video it sure seems like a lot of work...... But looking at It today, it really doesn't seem like much got done. But I also wouldn't wanna be at delivery day again :)

If I was asked to do it all over again from the beginning.........I'd laugh.......then about a week later, take them up on the offer :)

It's really been a learning experience. I went into this only have built 1 motorcycle. Now I've got 2 bikes under my belt and a friend that bought one for me to build him. Almost every aspect of this build has thought me something new that no book could have done. I'm really looking forward to completing this bad boy. I'm also quite interested what I'll be working on in 30 years :)
I seem to keep trying to 1 up myself each thing I build, and this thing was pretty high for a baseline :)

Only problem I see in finishing this in my 'this summer' deadline, is my sister and brother in law auto cross a couple BMW's they built up, and they've been asking me to do a ride along with them. I'm afraid if I do, this truck will turn into a monster of braces, harnesses, stiffeners, adjusters and a whole slew of other crap to make it go really fast around a track :) ............like that's a bad thing right?!

Nice truck!

You do good work man. The International looks great and should be very dependable and safe. I think sticking with the T350 is the answer and the 3.08 gears are basically factory for most passenger vehicles. This is a tried and true combination and if you want it to be a little snappier out of hole later. You could dig up another similar rearend and just change it out. You will have one for highway and one for fun. Great job all around and the video makes me feel bad about my wimpy build pictures. Congratulations Steve

Last edited:
Thanks deuce!
I think it looks this good case I spend more time researching every aspect of the build then I spend actually building it ;)
I kinda cheated and just modified an existing frame. It my thinking was to use as many factory parts as I can just to keep it safe. I want to be able to just jump in and go without worry of brakes failing, axle being left behind or tires falling off.
I figured this would be the best way to learn a lot as I go and maybe the next one will have a scratch built chassis with custom this or that.

My buddy's watched me build my bike a while ago and they couldn't figure out why I would build it up, then see something out of place and take it all back apart again. Once they saw what I saw in my head the whole time, they loved it! Enough for 2 of them to buy bikes to have me build for them :)

I'm a real hands on learner and this project is a testament to that I think :)
Sometimes I wish I had a giant b,ock of clay to cut up to see a vision before actually going for it :)

You do good work man. The International looks great and should be very dependable and safe. I think sticking with the T350 is the answer and the 3.08 gears are basically factory for most passenger vehicles. This is a tried and true combination and if you want it to be a little snappier out of hole later. You could dig up another similar rearend and just change it out. You will have one for highway and one for fun. Great job all around and the video makes me feel bad about my wimpy build pictures. Congratulations Steve

Latest posts

Back