International L122 B Binder Rat Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think 1/4" will do fine. I might add an angle brace from the flat bottom next to the biscut up to the upright back piece that bolts to the block. [P

Yeah..... I thought of that too last night staring at it. Seems I might get some twist on that big tab if I don't.
I thought about making a template and putting it in there, but I think I'll wait till I get pulleys and the accessories mounted to see how the belt clears.

Well, it ain't too pretty, but its done. Guess well see how the rubber holds up to the engine. I think it'll be fine since its not hard mounted.

photo-403.jpg

photo-1829.jpg

Bolts are just sitting in place right now.
photo-1502.jpg

photo-1527.jpg

photo-1575.jpg

photo-303.jpg

Gotta say though, it looks MUCH cleaner without the tubular cross member in there. I will end up making a couple similar supports for the trans/engine connection on each side to take stress off the bell housing.
photo-1091.jpg

looks great, glad to see you back at it! congrats on the little one too a few months after the fact but hey congrats man that's awesome!

Thanks guys!

I pulled the chassis back outside...... Again.
I've bounced around so much, I've hit a spot where I need to dump money into it, that I don't quite have. So the cab is back inside to work on the much needed metal work. I still have a number of welds to be completed, and more metal I side to wrap up. That work doesn't take much money, just time. I figure ill keep making progress on that for now that way I'm still making headway.

And people go on and on about the stopping power of Disc Brakes when nothing stops a ride quicker than the lack of funds! :p Ask me how I know. :eek:
It's good that you have the metal work to do so that you can see progress and stay motivated. Love this build. :cool:

I love the trucks klink has one that he has had since high school this truck is incedible and it looks like your well on your way too...will keep this one under the scope. nice job.

I like the old IH trucks. I was not able to find a local supplier for windshields so haven't bought one. With the modification you made to the windshield frame, what glass are you using there now? I think it looks very cool!

I like the old IH trucks. I was not able to find a local supplier for windshields so haven't bought one. With the modification you made to the windshield frame, what glass are you using there now? I think it looks very cool!

Any of you familiar with the build thread will know I've been procrastinating on the windshield(s).
I have the origonal one but it's cracked pretty bad so it's not usable.
I made a paper template of the curvature and headed to a couple junk yards today.
photo-124.jpg

I probably put it on a hundred cars just to find that almost every single car, truck, van, big or small, short or tall, came up with the same radius from left to right!!!! Which was too shallow. All of them had about 1/2" gap in the center of the template. :/

Getting frustrated I headed to the next junk yard with paper template in hand.

I was looking in the import section when I came across a 1979 Volvo 240. It looked pretty freakin close! Only 1/8" gap in the center of the template.
I figured this might work, but also thought maybe I can find better.
Then I came across a 1986 Saab 900! Dang near perfect!!!
Right after that I found a 1972 Datsun 280z which was PERFECT!!!!

Since I was working with a paper template, which I found if I don't pull the card paper tight and carefully set on the surface of the glass, I could taint the observation and make it SEEM like said glass would work when in fact, the template was skewed.

SO, I went home to make a wood template with the proper curvature and roughly the right size of the windshield on the rat rod.

Here is the template on the origonal glass:
photo-121.jpg

Roughly the same size as the glass I need:
photo-122.jpg

Even follows the body contour pretty well:
photo-123.jpg

My thinking is that to take this (more rigid) template to the junk yard and check the cars again. The goal is to find a few cars, or at least 2 so I can buy NEW glass, which should be easier to cut. Old glass can be brittle and when cutting can fracture unexpectedly. I want a couple different cars so I can price shop between the two. One might be more expensive then the other, and I have to buy 2 since I can't cut 2 pieces out of 1 windshield.

I'll either try my hand at this myself, or price out through my buddy (who is a glass expert) having it cut to a template I make once I have the windshield rubber in hand.

Believe it or not, both of these cars have almost identicle radius'
photo-125.jpg

photo-126.jpg

My guess is the dautsun will be cheaper as the glass is smaller.

I also got 4 pieces of 1/4" laminated DoT SAFTY glass for the side and rear windows to the tune of $40. It's not tempered, but it's better then any other option for custom glass!
photo-127.jpg

ALSO, for what it's worth, 1991 Isuzu Troopers have perfectly flat windshields just in case anyone is looking for an easy place to find proper flat windshield glass for their project.

WAAAYYY back on page 35 I kinda explained what the plan is.
The guy in Canada that built the last ken I pictured tried out my theory, and it worked pretty well for him!
In fact, he even cut his own with his sand blaster! I'd need to call him again and get the details on how it went. I know he burned up one windshield the first round trying to get everything to work right.......but he got it the second time :D

He discusses cutting the windshield, FYI.

http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422

Thanks for that link!!
That guy has some serious skill! I really dig the windshield frame!
Sandblasting......5 hours and 200lbs of media for a straight 5' cut?! :eek:
WOW!
I must say that I might go and try the 40 grit diamond carbide router but from C.R. Laurence that he mentioned. I will probably pull a scrap windshield from the junk yard to practice on before taking the plunge on the final two pieces.

Again.... THANKS for that link! [cl

Latest posts

Back