International L122 B Binder Rat Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the chop and length of the bed. You've told me before that yours was 5" and his appears to be about that. I want to chop mine less than that. Probably 4" maybe only 3 1/2"......I'm tall so I need as much head room as I can get but I want it to look good and also proportionate. Also would like to know what the length of both beds are, because they both look really close to the same length. I may end up sectioning mine and that will in turn make the top look taller even with it chopped, so I try and get pics and info when I can because there's not nearly as many custom Binders out there as 50's ford and Chevys. So I've gotta find a happy medium for all the mods I do while keeping it unique....which is why I try to get measurements so there's less guess work later.

Dug though my old emails from the chap.
He said he cut 6" out of the front and 5" out of the rear. I emailed him to ask about how long his bed is, but it bounced back. Seems he doesn't have them email anymore.
I know he was on this forum a long time ago, but not sure if he still is.

My bed is 5' 10" in legnth, and reading back on my first posts, looks like I cut an even 6" out of mine.
Hopefully that helps.

For the three of you poor saps that are still hangin onto to this thread in the hopes that one day it might be finished, some good news.
No, it's not finished, but once temps hit the 70's again during the day, wifey agreed to let me have the garage to work on it.
There IS hope this might be in the road this summer.
Stay tuned, supposed to be 80* Friday [cl

Well, got it back in its now home at the new house. Just about have the garage setup so time to start crackin away at it.

Also, started making a list of to-do's so I can start checking things off. It's much longer written out then it was in my head :mad:

This garage has 12' ceilings, which provides a new view [cl

Found out this thing barely fits on a car trailer. Since I have the wheel spacers to fit the wheels, it widens the truck quite a bit. No way could I back it on as the rear fenders would hit the trailer fenders. But hey, it fits :)
Now........where to start.

[cl[cl[cl Does momma know you're making your list on the doors???[ddd:D
Funny you mentioned it.
The door that was on this house when we bought it was a horrible single layer non insulated absolute bottom of the barrel steel door that was already buckled once. Seems wind out here can get pretty strong.
Second to last storm, I backed into it with the plow truck. Whoops :rolleyes:
So ran out and bought me a nice 3 layer insulated door. Tossed it up last week.
MAN is it nice!

She came out tonight in the middle of me writing the list and says "so y just decide to start writing all over your new door" with a grin. She's learned to expect these kinds of things from me apparently :D

I'm writing with dry erase markers anyways and tested to make sure it comes off.
That's not to say that it'll still come off after it's been there for 5 more years and I still don't have everything crossed off

I've got stuff written on the man door to my shop as well. Doesn't make much sense to anyone but me.
Shop look great and glad to see you back at it. Man that truck is low.
Torchie

I have my upper cabinets painted with chalkboard paint, but the paint just isn't the same as a real chalkboard for some reason and harder to write on and clean off. Thought this might be a better option. Plus pleanty of room for lists......... Long lists. :)

I'm excited to be back at it. I REEEEEALLY hope this thing is driving this year.

Good to see you back. I'm really liking the looks of the new shop, well worth the wait and hassle of moving. I have really grown to dislike moving and figure the only thing worse is helping someone else move, especially when you realize you are the only one there that's "helping".

Wow, starting over with a clean, neat shop really looks satisfying. The aerial view is really shows a lot - nice to see it.

Sweet project!

I'm with ya! Nice to have a shop to work in again instead of work on.

Moving sucks. Moving friends suck worse. Even worse - Realizing you're helping move stuff that really should just be thrown away.

I'm with ya! Nice to have a shop to work in again instead of work on.

Moving sucks. Moving friends suck worse. Even worse - Realizing you're helping move stuff that really should just be thrown away.

Well, this technically isn't the shop at this house. Still gotta build the 40x60. It's in the planning stages now as I'll be doing all the work except the flatwork. That'll be a P other long project but better not end up as long as the rat rod or I'm in trouble.
I talked the lady into letting me have the garage once the temps hit the 70's. She agreed as long as she can have it back once it drops to the 40's.
So I have limited time this year to go to town. Better motivation at least :)

We did a pretty good job getting rid of a lot of stuff prior to this move, but we also almost doubled the size of the house this round, so I'm dreadful of the day we decide to move out of this house since that move will very likely be an accumulation of crap for 30 years. And if I build the shop I want, add another 2,400 sq ft of shop crap to have to move. And you know, if you have the space, you'll fill it. And at that time we'll probably be downsizing. THAT move will be miserable.

Ran to the scrap yard today and almost started pulling the MC and Hydroboost off a 95 Astro when I found a 99 k3500, which is what I was wanting in the first place.
Pulled the parts, left behind the ABS junk and Prop valve since I'll use my own.
I was going for the brake pedal too, however, the bracket that holds the pedal Assembly is a massive bracket that is somehow secured to the firewall. I've pulled the dash nearly completely apart but can't see how it's attached. All I had was a basic socket set, vice grips, channel locks and wire cutters so I couldn't get it.
Any suggestions on best route to mount a brake pedal?
I might end up going back with a battery grinder and battery sawzawl to cut it off, then I can weld up the rest I left behind onto the bracket to moint to my firewall but I'm open to suggestions. See photo. I really like the giant pivot lin this pedal has.

I have also been trying to find a fuel filler neck setup that I liked. I was eyeing jeeps for awhile, but all of those are plastic. I don't like plastic. Just couldn't find a metal mount that works.
I haven't been to this yard in a while and they have reorganized since. They now have a fairly good size RV section. Seriously.........who would want a part of a 70's RV?
Well, me. That's who.
Found this epic rolling meth lab that had just the neck I wanted! I needed something that would recess the gas neck, but have a angle downward. I HATE flat fuel necks. Can't keep a nozzle in to save my life.
So a little chop n cut, I walked out with $50 worth of filler-up and stop-er crap :D

Stop-er crap donor truck

The light colored gargantuan sized bracket is the think I'm trying to get

I really only want the part the pedal pivot mounts to. I can make the rest.

One the same picture, what the heck is that switch with 6 wires coming off of it left of the pedal arm? There are two harnesses on it. One with two wires and one with 4. There is an arm off of that that holds the brake pedal so it rolls with the brake pedal movement. It feels like there are two switches in there, one is like a rheostat that varries signal based off where the pedal is located within its full movement. The second feels like a solid on/off switch that's engaged when brakes are completely released.
Here's a picture of that switch removed.

There was another switch separate, but next to this one that I believe was the brake light switch. That one you can see as two round tabs mounted on metal facing the camera.

Here's the filler-up donor. Fine specimen.

ill start playing around with my new parts tonight [cl

That bracket is spotwelded to the firewall... I think there`s 2 of them in the middle between the bolt holes. If my memory serves me correctly, the top is bolts only, but it has been 2 weeks at least since I pulled that same bracket, so I may be wrong [S:p
I used the plasma cutter and ripped off the rest later. Didn`t pay too much attention to how it was built. I`d say cutting from the enginebay would be easiest. It was not a 5 min. job

Latest posts

Back