Introduction and plan; New Rat rodder

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I'm Christian Bivens. I am 18 years old and live in StockbridgeGA and have just decided to join this forum.
I would like to build a rat rod, and I know how helpful a forum can be.
I have a 71 Ford 300 Inline 6 with a toploader 3 speed that was left on my property when I purchased the land. I recently pulled the thing out of the woods and began messing with it and was surprised on how good condition and clean it was. Spark plugs looked better than the ones in my daily driver! Literally had no issue starting after a regular tune up (new fluids, good gas ect)
So my idea was: instead of letting this thing rust to it's death, why not do something with it?
Now my usual hobby is building motorized bikes that look like BTR's, but I have been doing that for 2 years now, and I think it's time to build a real toy
I have blacksmithed for 8 years as a hobby, have been welding for 3 years with professional instruction. I also have 4 years of professional instruction on mechanical drafting and design and use of AutoCAD software and systems. I apprentice part time at an elevator shop and have access to large mills and lathes. So metal working and fabrication are not new to me, so I assume this will be nothing but an enjoyable experience. So I hope
Now my idea just from a little research and thought is to get a modern frame so it will have an updated suspension, and just make it look 40's/50's. Any reason why that wouldn't work? I want handling over speed, since I'm working with a low hp motor. I was thinking like an F150 frame and just cut it down and shorten it, then shop around while building for a 40/50/60's shell/cab to put on it. Maybe a truck cab and chop the top on it
Is there any information/good articles/links/any beginner information that you would pass along to someone completely new?

Last edited:
Welcome from New Mexico.
I would suggest you go to the build section and find some thing that you like.
There's lots of excellent builds there with a tremendous amount of good ideas.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Welcome to RRR! Build your own frame. You can use a lot of parts from the F100. The front springs and towers are big and ugly. The twin I-beam is complicated to use but might be fun for an engineer. The 300 is a bulletproof motor.

Welcome to RRR! Build your own frame. You can use a lot of parts from the F100. The front springs and towers are big and ugly. The twin I-beam is complicated to use but might be fun for an engineer. The 300 is a bulletproof motor.

How hard is it to fabricate a frame? Are jigs simple to build for a car frame? I've never worked on a project quite so big. What car frames are good to use but easy to find in an average junkyard? For my first build I'd like to use a frame that's already complete with suspension and steering so all I have to do is add a cab, work on interior, mount motor, run drive train, add lights and other legal requirements, and go.

Regarding the Ford 300, that's what I've heard also. Good motor, if I keep the vehicle chopped it should have enough torque to have fun around town with. They put the damn things in F100's lol

Welcome! The 300 is a great engine. I built one a few years back, I used a RV/towing style cam, a Hedman header with dual exhaust with a 2 barrel. It had a lot of power and surprised a lot of people. I am a GM guy but that is one of F**d's best engines in my opinion. I would find a car you like and update its suspension but building your own frame is also good but has a steep learning curve in my opinion.

Welcome! The 300 is a great engine. I built one a few years back, I used a RV/towing style cam, a Hedman header with dual exhaust with a 2 barrel. It had a lot of power and surprised a lot of people. I am a GM guy but that is one of F**d's best engines in my opinion. I would find a car you like and update its suspension but building your own frame is also good but has a steep learning curve in my opinion.

Yea, alot of torque! It's a big inline 6, it's just sloppy hp. Better carb, better intake and better exhaust and that thing should run pretty strong.
I've heard the 3 speeds are bullet proof too. Sounds like this I6 setup is a perfect engine to throw in a frame and run hard
I think I'm leaning towards using a modern Ford Ranger frame and suspension. I assume this would be easy to find in a pick n' pull. Would this be a good choice?

Hi ABF, and welcome to RRR from northern Alberta. A 300 Ford is lots of horse-power. My Daughter has a 300 in a square bale Stack-liner that weighs about 4000 lbs. and with 120 bales on there it will weigh over 11000 lbs. She can deliver a load down the county road and get that machine into fourth gear, just whizzing along, probably 40 mph. You, on the other hand will have a 3500 lb. vehicle and less wind resistance so you will go like heck, all the time.
A full sized pick-up will be too wide of wheel track width, so look for a Ranger, or S-10 or Dakota, and you'll be laughing. I have a thread on here using a Ranger running gear, and a way less powerful motor. See - 36 Ford truck on Ranger - thread.

Welcome to the site. A Jeep frame is a pretty good start. CJ or YJ would work pretty well. I do however like the idea of building your own frame.

Hi ABF, and welcome to RRR from northern Alberta. A 300 Ford is lots of horse-power. My Daughter has a 300 in a square bale Stack-liner that weighs about 4000 lbs. and with 120 bales on there it will weigh over 11000 lbs. She can deliver a load down the county road and get that machine into fourth gear, just whizzing along, probably 40 mph. You, on the other hand will have a 3500 lb. vehicle and less wind resistance so you will go like heck, all the time.
A full sized pick-up will be too wide of wheel track width, so look for a Ranger, or S-10 or Dakota, and you'll be laughing. I have a thread on here using a Ranger running gear, and a way less powerful motor. See - 36 Ford truck on Ranger - thread.

Yea, I expect alot from that engine, I've heard nothing but good things from it since I've started research, even seems die hard chevy fans still have a pleasing comment on this engine!
So does it matter what make the frame is? Cause either way I expect I will have to fab custom engine mounts. So what about the Mazda's "Ranger" Think the import frame will be lighter? Or no? I've settled on a mid size pick up frame thou, I wanna make one of those small beds in the rear and add a dually rear end. I just love dually's, specially if you can burn the suckers!
I will definately read up on your build, thanks for the refrence!

Welcome to the site. A Jeep frame is a pretty good start. CJ or YJ would work pretty well. I do however like the idea of building your own frame.

A jeep frame may be a little hard to find, and I want a longer wheel base. But I really want to find a CJ Tub to use, I think the cj's body on a rat rod looks too cool

You asked about this kind of suspenion in another thread, but I'll drag it over here.
attachment.php

That set up is best know as 'suicide suspension' or maybe 'transverse leaf suspension'. The frame in that pic is home built.

This is a suicide suspension - called that because if something breaks, the front of the frame will be plowing dirt.
rpudisassemlyforpaint002_zpseea904e3.jpg

As for using a stock frame and getting that 'look', well....you can't really. You can get the extended front look using modern A-arm suspension, but it usually comes out looking very bulky and front heavy. Using a rack and pinion for steering can clean things up a lot.

Notice how far the frame horns stick out - you can cut some off, but unless you get rid of the stock steering linkage, the bulky horns have to stay.
10-16-11-6.PNG

This is a suicide suspension - called that because if something breaks, the front of the frame will be plowing dirt.

That looks pretty simple to replicate. May be a stupid question, but I just don't see how it steers xP

That frame doesn't look as complicated as I would expect a car frame to be. I think I may just make my own frame, I'm pretty confident I could do that.
I have a big enough welder, and a big enough lay out table so why not

I have some steel laying around that may work for the frame, been hoarding the left overs from the elevator shop for months, guess it's time to use it

Thankyou for the quick explanation to get my research going. I didn't even know that setup was called a suicide suspension

So now that I've decided to go the DIY Frame route, would the smartest thing to do be getting everything else together such as; the dually rear end I want to use, tub I want to use, ect to give me the look I want then build the frame to make everything work? Build the frame last?

I'm no expert and I built my own frame. This is my first build and I'm pretty proud of the frame. I had the cab and bed first and then the engine. I laid out my main pieces first and then designed the frame. as far as steering you can go traditional with a steering box mounted on the frame back at or near the pivot point of the radius rod and run a drag link up to the front wheel and then a tie rod to the other wheel, or a cross steer set up with either a steering box or rack and pinion system. Check out my build so far in the builds section It's called tetanus tornado 49 F1. the other place you can find a lot of info is from the speed way motors catalog. and you can always ask questions here, everyone is very helpful.

Latest posts

Back