IRWIPI

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moronthethrottle

Cross Member
Poking around the Stovebolt site today, I came across a series of threads by a guy from nearby Sioux Falls, SD who bought a '65 Chevy truck. Based off one picture and the story that "It Ran When I Parked It" (IRWIPI), he flew down to Texas with big plans of driving it (900 miles) back home. He had to do some prep work before driving it....new fuel tank, windshild, swap 327 (bad timing gear) for a 350, but eventually made the trip back to South Dakota.

I'm impressed! Anyone else made any insane journeys to rescue old tin and then drive it a great distance back home? Granted, 1965 isn't extremely old, but it certainly was a gutsy trip to embark on.

Here's a link to his story(ies) IRWIPI

I bought mine over the net. Drove it 320 miles home. "Daily driver" and "clear title" were the two that got me. The guy never got the title transferred over and I immediately had to tighten up the steering - couldn't go over 30 without that 'Oh ****!' feeling. No way was he driving it like that! Other than that, it seemed OK. On the way home, I lost the exhaust just past the cab, and I could hear the rear gears weren't adjusted properly (an old center chunk was in the bed). When I got into town, the rear end started clunking - bad.

As for being ballsy or just plain stupid, I took a leap of faith, payed cash, and drove it home without a title in hand. It was Sunday and he mailed me the correct new title the next day.

Last month a friend was in SanDiego and spotted a 72 Barth Rv in a back yard. Bought it for 200 bucks and he and his wife drove it home - 3500 trouble free miles . Now that takes balls

Last month a friend was in SanDiego and spotted a 72 Barth Rv in a back yard. Bought it for 200 bucks and he and his wife drove it home - 3500 trouble free miles . Now that takes balls

Yeah, and a whole lotta good luck. I'm really diggin' this thread. Hope it continues on for a while. I look forward to the day when I can throw my own story out here; problem is, this crappy economy is putting a real damper on me being able to put something in my empty garage. Hey, how 'bout a thread where a RRR member gives Sixtall a FREE old car that he drives home troublefree and ........ wait, that's hoping for a little much .....

Latest posts

Back