Is a 1985 Jaguar rear end worth $150.00? ...and other questions.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsdad

I don't know much about Jaguar rear ends, but I have an opportunity to get one out of a V12 car. They want $150.00 for it if I pull it. It looks like it's in pretty good condition, including the brake pads. Is that a good price?

I don't think it has limited slip. I can turn the wheel on either side and it'll make the drive shaft turn, but not the opposite wheel. Do they even make these in a limited slip version?

Will it hold up to the torque of a Ford 400M in a 2500 pound car (T-bucket) with slicks on a track?

Seems pretty cheap!

Seems pretty cheap to me & if it held up to the Jag V-12 it should be fine behind a V-8. I'm sure I could tear it up... but that's another story!!! ; - >

BoB

YES! $150 is a good deal.

Yes it will hold up to as many ponys as you car can throw at it ,within reason. here is a jag rearend with a built to the nuts 396. If you don't take it I would have several buyers! good luck and heve doing it.

Jag Rearend

$150.00 seems like a really good deal to me. And it's my understanding the JAG Rearend center section is a Dana 44. Securing it to the frame and staying in place would be a bigger concern than tearing up the rearend itself, I would think.

Last edited:
More JAG

With the center bolted securely to the frame, I can attach it directly to my tranny. This will solve a problem I was having with a short drive shaft.

Sounds like a neat project. Show some pictures if and when you can. I'm doing my research for getting/installing/using a JAG rearend for now.

I don't remember. I had bought an old T-bucket with a jag rear end and at the last minute the guy decided to keep it and comped me well in the trade. I found a junkyard near Pt.Townsend Wa. that had several and he is the one who told me there was a difference. Also the 6 and the 12 might have had different ratios too. I chose the lower one of course but they were all in the 3. range.

Got me thinking

Thanks for the input. It got me thinking about when I start actually looking for a JAG rearend and what the different choices are to think about. I just thought a JAG IRS was like any other JAG IRS. I guess I was wrong.

hey
this is what i have,
E-type-52" wide...ratios-3.07,3.31,3.54(power-lok)
MK-X-60 1/2 wide...ratios-3.54,3,77(power-lok)
S-type-55" wide...ratios-3.54,3.77(power-lok)
420-55" wide...ratios-3.54
420G-60 1/2 wide...ratios-3.54,3.77(power-lok)
XJ 4.2-61" wide...ratios-3.31,3.54,3.77
XJ 2.8-61"wide...ratios-4.09,4.55
XJ 12-61"wide...ratios-3.31(power-lok)
XJS-61" wide...ratios-2.88,3.07,3.54(power-lok)
can't remember where i got the info....it must be good as i wroye it down..
hope its useful
spock:D

Holy crap, a jag rear for $150? I wouldn't think twice.

They are stronger than s*** too. I saw one under a big block 4 speed Chevelle that had been beat on for 15 years and counting. Tough rear, and very deceiving to the eye.

I picked one of these up with my project.

There should be a tag bolted on the bottom of the cover that has the ratio.

Oh and $150 is cheap. I was told they are running around $1000 up here.....

70's - 80's jags are cheap. Nobody wants to pay big bucks to keep them running.

I bought a XJS for $300 and robbed the front and rear suspensions (All XJS's have posi rears) to stick under my next chevy truck.

Latest posts

Back