Is It True? Once You Go Black...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmel

...You never go back???

I've been toying with this for a while now, but keep talking myself out of it. But the recent Jack Daniels commercial with the RPU - with black steelies is making me re-address this option because it reminds me how much i really like the look.

I have red wheels...i love my red wheels. When building my car, my wife had one request for the car...well two, ok, maybe three. But THIS one was that she wanted purple wheels. I quickly veto'd that. I wanted red. "But everybody does red" she said. Yes, because it looks good is my general response.

But over the past few months, I've been thinking about changing them to black, but again, keep talking myself out of it, then back into it, then back out of it before i do it. I guess my major concerns are this.

1) I have rallies - not my first choice, but the price was right. Think it'd look ok with that?
2) Also, I'm running wide whites. I think black steelies would look better with black walls...but i like my wide whites too much to get rid of them. Personally think that they make the car.

What do you think? Should I just man up and do it? I can always paint it back again if i don't like it.

Attachments

• NoTrespassing.jpg
    NoTrespassing.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7803IIWeb.jpg
    IMG_7803IIWeb.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 68
  • T-BiloxiWeb.jpg
    T-BiloxiWeb.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 59
Get new plain steel wheels, paint THEM black, and ditch the rallies. Or if you can't afford new wheels, at least the black paint will help hide the "rally" a bit. The whitewalls will be fine with the black wheels - better than with red.

Rallies and red wheels - two ugly birds dead with one stone.

My $.02

I don't care that people say red wheels are overdone, I still like them. But I had run them on my 27 for about 20 years and it was time for a change, so I went black this time. I have to admit it makes the car look more serious as opposed to "cute", if you get what I mean. I like them the way they look now and am glad I did the change.

Don

The new look,

27pictures003.jpg

The old look,

my27002.jpg

Last edited:
red or black wheels

Leave them red ,they go with the firewall and engine color. Paint them black and you will make all the flat black overpower the look of the car.Good looking car the way it is.If you could find some regular steel wheels it would look better.:cool:

I don't care that people say red wheels are overdone, I still like them. But I had run them on my 27 for about 20 years and it was time for a change, so I went black this time. I have to admit it makes the car look more serious as opposed to "cute", if you get what I mean. I like them the way they look now and am glad I did the change.

Don

The new look,

27pictures003.jpg

The old look,

my27002.jpg

I still can't believe you had a pink car Don.

black rim, black tire, and chop that windshield in half! you almost need a taller rear tire as well.

Don, that:rolleyes: is not pink, nor purple, its lavender..... with a red engine, red steering column and red radius rods.......mmmmm
There are other colors for wheels beside red and black....

Don, that:rolleyes: is not pink, nor purple, its lavender..... with a red engine, red steering column and red radius rods.......mmmmm
There are other colors for wheels beside red and black....

But few look as good. :D

Thanks for all the comments...unfortionately, I'm leaving here just as split as i was before on whether or not i should do it. The wife thinks i should just keep it as is, she doesn't like black wheels....but what does she know, she wanted purple wheels.

I may just keep it as is for now, and as somebody suggested, find some smooth steelies, and paint them black and see how it looks. Speedways aren't terribly expensive.

You guys must have not been around in the 50's..........purple was one of the popular colors for hot rods, ie, Fred Steeles Deuce roadster, etc. When I built the car I was looking for a color and one of the car magazines had a purple 32 coupe on the cover and I said "that's it." The color was Dupont Fleet Purple.

I got the frame and running gear painted, then to get it on the road I sprayed the body with primer that I tinted with left over purple paint, hence the lighter shade. I was enjoying the car so much I never got around to blowing it apart to paint it completely in purple.

This time around the purple had worn thin on me a little so I went black, and have to admit I like it better, but 20 years ago the purple was just fine.

So there !! :p:D

Don

How about this? All black, or I left the outer rim red to tie in with the rest of the car.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• NoTrespassing3.jpg
    NoTrespassing3.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 64
  • NoTrespassing2.jpg
    NoTrespassing2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 65
Here, Kiddies, take a look at what cars back in the day were REALLY like, and learn. :D I chuckle when I see some of the comments made here and other places by newbies who are still wet behind the ears and feel they know what "tradition" is. :D:D

Oh, and there were quite a few PINK roadsters running around too, but men were more secure in their masculinity in those days too. :cool:

Don

454pictures002.jpg

Here, Kiddies, take a look at what cars back in the day were REALLY like, and learn. :D I chuckle when I see some of the comments made here and other places by newbies who are still wet behind the ears and feel they know what "tradition" is. :D:D

Oh, and there were quite a few PINK roadsters running around too, but men were more secure in their masculinity in those days too. :cool:

Don

454pictures002.jpg

Friend of mine had a pink 57 chevy years ago. I wouldn't want to be the one to tell him he was lacking masculinity!!!:eek:

Latest posts

Back