Is It True? Once You Go Black...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black wheels on your side. Red wheels on her side.:D

Well, I heard a pinstriper once say when somebody commented that the design is a little different on each side of the car - "so what, you can't see both sides at the same time anyway."

Leave the purple on her fingernails.

I like Sam Fear's black and red idea. I also say chop that windshield.

A fast hack job,

NoTrespassing22.jpg

NoTrespassing2.jpg

Last edited:
Build your car,your way

There is a man on this site building a 34 caddy with huge billet wheels.
It Looks great!
Bottom line is do your car your way.As long as you like it ,that is all that matters.[;)
That is one thing that make rodding cool.Every car is different.
I have got a set of used 20 inch rims for my next car.
Will it make a lot of people angry? Probably.
Do I care? Yes,I do not like to upset people,but I am using the 20`s anyway.
It`s my car,I am building it my way.
That 34 caddy has inspired me.[dr
I have got to go with huge wheels just once.:eek:

Attachments

• rat rod pic.JPG
    rat rod pic.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 18
The chopped windshield has been another point of contention. Also another issue where people seem split on what should be done - although it typically leans more towards the "CHOP IT" crowd.

I'd like to take at least a 3rd off of it, but i'm afraid that the car won't be as enjoyable...and if its not as much fun, i might not drive it as much. And if i don't drive it as much because its not as fun....what the hell is the point?

I'm 6'3, and my head is at the top of the window as it stands now.

I did toy with it in photoshop...took half of it off and love the hell out of the look. I've thought about maybe finding another '27 window frame, and somehow hinging it so that it will fold down. Also thought about buying a 2nd window frame that is chopped, and swap them out as desired. Cruising around town, local car show - 6 bolts, sawp window. Road trip...6 bolts, swap window - but imagine that would be more difficult and cumbersome than its worth.

On my short list to do, i'd like to lower the car. Want to put a 4in drop axle on the front, and change out the leafs in the back and replace with coil-overs. I'm afraid that if i do lower the car like that, it'll really look funny with the tall window.

Attachments

• T---Biloxi--Web-Chopped.jpg
    T---Biloxi--Web-Chopped.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 13
"Form Follows Function" a basic design criteria. If you need a tall windshield to drive comfortably, then so be it. My grey roadster is a bit too windy at highway speeds. I tried goggles over my glasses but didn't like that. I have to drive wearing a baseball cap, holding it on with one hand. Since that isn't the best idea I built a different open car where I sit lower and more forward, out of the wind.
Your idea about a fold down windshield could be an answer. Like the air ride systems that provide reasonable ride height on the road and ground scraping lowness for the fairgrounds. Function on the highway, form at the show.

Last edited:
The one thing I learned a long time ago. You have to live with it. Please yourself (and the wife if necessary) first and if any one else likes it; that is just more frosting on the cake.

I'd say leave the windscreen tall, leave the height, keep the rallys, and if you do paint 'em, leave the red outer lip. It all gives it a lot of character.

If you lower it, you would need to chop the windscreen too.

I've never seen a set of rally wheels look so good.

The chopped windshield has been another point of contention. Also another issue where people seem split on what should be done - although it typically leans more towards the "CHOP IT" crowd.

I'd like to take at least a 3rd off of it, but i'm afraid that the car won't be as enjoyable...and if its not as much fun, i might not drive it as much. And if i don't drive it as much because its not as fun....what the hell is the point?

I'm 6'3, and my head is at the top of the window as it stands now.

Yeah, that sucks. Not much leg room in a bucket!

I keep nagging my buddy to chop his windshield down, too. I threaten to cut it every time he shows up! Same problem. He's too tall, and refuses to wear a chin-strap on his ball cap.

Making it a folding 50/50 would be a nice compromise.......

Another amateur chop,

(Sorry 'bout the shiny paint and billet wheels. It was built in the '80's).

BillsT.jpg

BillsT-Copy.jpg

I'll chime in :). I like Sam's idea with the black wheels with the red outer rim. As a side note, I think the windshield frame would look really good chrome plated to add some contrast. Either way, the car looks good to me even if you don't do anything. I'm just adding my two cents.

Back in the 80's a friend of mine had a 600.00 '27 T body roadster that had Purple Paint with, wait for it....Lace job. Had 8 individual pipes with glasspacs. He built the car while in High School in the late 60's. He still has the car tho it's lost it Burple.LOL
Later--John T, :D

How about this Gastrick? Chromed and added a bar to split up the large plane. Kept the same height.

attachment.php

Attachments

• NoTrespassing2b.jpg
    NoTrespassing2b.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 41
My take on it is if i chrome the windshield, it'll make it stand out even more at stock height.

I probably won't end up chopping it. I live on the other side of a pretty big lake that i have to cross if i want to go anywhere. If you've ever lived in the south, you can only imagine what thats like in the spring or a warm humid summer day.

I've had to stop and scrape off my windshield because i couldn't see through it anymore. I've also taken a few June Bugs - mother natures kamakazi pilots - to arms, hand, and shoulder at 75mph. I'll admit that isn't fun, can't imagine it being much fun being smacked between the eyes either. I hate those disguesting little *******s.

Latest posts

Back