is this one worth the trouble?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjmahone66

by the casting numbers, this is an 86-96 SBC 350. it was stored for many years in my Grampa's shed, i just took it over and decided to tear it down and see what we have. it looks pretty bad to me.
i have built clean SBCs before, but never messed with one this rusted and gunked up.
just by looking at this sludge and rusted out cylinders, i'm thinking it's not worth the trouble, but thought i would ask for another opinion.

does this look like it's worth the trouble? or do these cylynders look too far gone? thanks

536671_441293642563356_100000481710509_1668499_963464811_n.jpg

543047_441293689230018_100000481710509_1668500_1311812283_n.jpg

nope

looks like a paperweight to me.

you would spend more money on it than it is worth. look around, you can usually pick up a rebuilt short/long block from someone who is the rebuild and sell market cheaper than you can rebuild it you're self.

l know a guy local that sells rebuilt short block SBC for $895.OO and longblock for $995.OO when trade in a core.

Later :cool:

You would be so frustrated 1/2 way through that thing!
I don't think the auto parts store sells enough chisels to start busting away at that thing!

Look for another. I bought mine off Craigslist for $400 running.
350's fan be had all over for a deal. You couldn't pay me to attempt to touch that ugly beast.
Remember....... Rat rod! Not greaser! :D

thanks

thanks for the quick replies. ya'll just confirmed what i was feeling in my gut. i will send this one to the scales. i couldn't get the pistons to budge, so i couldnt even pull the crank. oh well.
i have 3 other SBCs, so i really dont need this one.

anyone know if a block in this condition is acceptable as a core when buying a rebuilt block?

If it's a 4 bolt main engine, a lot of the time it doesn't matter to a re-builder how the core looks they throw everything away except the block, crank and rods anyway

As stated by others, the water damage to the cylinders is bad enough, but any engine with that much sludge built up was obviously badly mistreated. :eek: I'd definitely pass on this one.......

Junk it.

It will need cylinders sleeved at the very least.
The machine work alone will cost more than it's worth, that doesn't include the parts.

Latest posts

Back