It happened again!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
So last year I got a piece of steel stuck in my good eye while grinding... not wearing safety glasses so... I have a rule to always use protection. Yesterday I was wearing safety glasses & while grinding on my top chop a lil piece of metal made it past the glasses... so today I'm off to get a full face shield & goggles that cover my eyes completely. Hopefully I won't have to go to the Dr again since it cost $250 last time!

BoB

Best thing to do is ALWAYS pay close attention to which way the sparks are flying. I've kinda gotten in the habit of squinting too. A big chunk of aluminum in my eye while wearing a full face shield and glasses on did it for me. I don't wanna be a pirate.

Yep safety glasses are just barely adequate.
I don't get as much in my eyes as I did when not wearing them.
What get us is the air that blows off the tool while using it and blows the sparks up under the glasses or shields.

I have been in twice to get metal drilled out of my eye, and once to get a piece removed by hand. I always wear safety glasses, harder now that I have to wear bifocals to weld with. But not worth the risk to just hope for the best.

I have been in twice to get metal drilled out of my eye, and once to get a piece removed by hand. I always wear safety glasses, harder now that I have to wear bifocals to weld with. But not worth the risk to just hope for the best.

You probably know already but you can get cheater lenses that fit on the inside of your helmet. I don't remember how much I paid for mine but they were cheap.

I had an eye drilled once. I was stunned to hear their procedure...

"We're gonna put some drops in to freeze it... when the freezing takes, just hold still and we'll run this auger in your eye." Seriously? Hold still?

They did it, gave me a patch and sent me out the door. (The drive home was interesting.)

I hate glasses and face shields but I wear them. (I love breathing my own breath repeatedly.) I'm also pretty deep in the prescription zone and recently spent a small fortune on progressive lenses, so I'm learning to breathe through my ears.

You can get generic bi-focal safety glasses if you just need readers.
I have run through a few pairs, going to upgrade to some pretty good ones, I think.

You probably know already but you can get cheater lenses that fit on the inside of your helmet. I don't remember how much I paid for mine but they were cheap.
I use an odd size auto hood, with a big view screen, do they make 'em for the bigger windows?

"We're gonna put some drops in to freeze it... when the freezing takes, just hold still and we'll run this auger in your eye." Seriously? Hold still?

They did it, gave me a patch and sent me out the door. (The drive home was interesting.)

I hate glasses and face shields but I wear them. (I love breathing my own breath repeatedly.) I'm also pretty deep in the prescription zone and recently spent a small fortune on progressive lenses, so I'm learning to breathe through my ears.

I was trying to finish a car for an out of state car show, and got metal in my eye about two hours before I was supposed to leave. Drove
an overnight trip after getting it drilled out. long day.

Did lots of grinding yesterday to get the top halves to match... felt SO much better with the face shield & safety glasses combo. Luckily it was only a scratch & no object in the eyeball... never want that to happen again!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Good to hear it was only a scratch [cl
The family doctor is who I go to for the occasional object removal from the eye. They only charge $65 :cool:

Is it just me or does the though of a drill and your eye just not go together at all? Makes me squint and sphincter pucker all at the same time. Now, back to grinding with 3 pairs of safety glasses and 2 face shields. :eek:

Latest posts

Back