It's done. Career #2 done, #3 starts monday

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
And my poor old $1300 shop truck didn't like my tool box being dropped into it! Yes, it was 100% on the stops in the rear! The box is loaded. I didn't even take out a single screwdriver! So it is off to the new job monday. Nervous and excited all at once!

trucktoolbox.jpg

Do you work at a dealer or what? I have been at a dealer for the last 11 years and with this economy my hours are decent one week and crappy the next. Sometimes I want a change but scared too. Good luck on new job!

I usually don't tell guys this...but nice box!

Haha! Thanks TI. I was nice and left the top box at home when I went to this dealer.

Do you work at a dealer or what? I have been at a dealer for the last 11 years and with this economy my hours are decent one week and crappy the next. Sometimes I want a change but scared too. Good luck on new job!

Yup. Last 12 years @ GM dealers. But the new job gives me 20-30 more hours a week in the shop at the house. More Hot Rods!

Michigan State Police blue

the color or your truck..... we call them the blue gooses.... good luck with the job man.....

Nope, an oxymoron is like "Jumbo Shrimp" "Federal Justice" "Hell's Angels" "Found missing".

And my favorite, military intelligence.
Back when I used to pull wrenches in the 80s and 90s, you colud load up and be working in a different shop any time you wanted, made for good employer relations, haha. I made a move once and had my Snap-on dealer move my KR1000/1200. His liftgate wouldn't pick it and we had to jack it up with a floor jack to latch it. His front wheels barely touched the ground all the way across town, he said it was the heaviest box he ever moved. It was the biggest one they made at the time. Now they have ones with a bathroom and shower,lol.

For what it's worth John, I'm on my third career too and I have to admit this one is pretty enjoyable (most of the time). I kind of got pushed from the second, but still glad I landed where I did.

I went from an engineering position (really got tired of driving a desk) to field service in the photo industry. I loved that job...got to fly around the country (including Hawaii and the caribbean) doing installations and service work, but film and that part of the industry went in the toilet with digital imaging getting so in expensive..plus you get to see the results of your pics right away. Now a days, I work as a CNC machinist, spending most of my time working with EDM equipment, but I also get to play with a couple of mills too.

You have sounded excited about the law enforcement prospects, so I know you'll enjoy it...plus you said it'll give you a little extra time for the family and some of your toys. That is a good thing!

Having met you already, I still picture you as the Leslie Neilson charactor in the Police Academy movies....just me though :D Good Luck and enjoy!

So what is your new career?
Changing shops is not a career change.
Going from an automotive technician to a Photographer then to a Vehicle fire Investigator, ARE career changes.

I've made a career out of changing careers.....

So what is your new career?
Changing shops is not a career change.
Going from an automotive technician to a Photographer then to a Vehicle fire Investigator, ARE career changes.

Lets see, paper route...12, got my auto start at Tower Cab at 13, worked at K-Mart for a month..16, service station / garage at 16 to 18, Army at 18, opened my own garage @21, dealership at 27, Service Manager at 32, Service Director at 35, Production Supervisor at 37, back to wrench's at 39, back to Service Director at 40, law enforcement part time in between from 35 to 41.... full time at 42 LE and been there since....no regrets, no what if's...

One of these days I'll figure out what I want to be when I grow up.... let's see, I'm 60.....maybe when I'm 70....yeah...that'll do it...or maybe not...LOL

Sgt. you make me smile!

had my own lawn mowing business from 11-12, 13-14 I threw hay in the summer and cow crap in the winter, 15 (lied about age and license) worked a a dealership in summer washing car and ski area in winter, 16 loaded trailers with boxes, 17 worked at a gas station, 11-18 worked part time in dads MG restoration shop, 18 ran fork lift, 19-23 USMC comm, 24 made water fountains, 24-28 paper mill mechanic, 28-40 5 different GM dealerships, 39-40 PT law enforcement, now 40- full time law. [S

been at it full time for 10 days and have never been so relaxed and happy to be around (according to my kids Dad isn't grouchy any more!) in my life! even though I was typing all morning (5 reports behind from the week end!) I still loved it![cl

Never missed not doing the dealership thing...

I'm glad that it's working out for you..... not sure what report / Cad system you use, but we recently changed up software so we can bang out a report in the car on the mobile data computer..... makes life a bit easier but the old timers....(me not included as I enjoy the high tech stuff) can't figure it out....LOL..and still come in to do reports.... the young guns like it and unless directed to return....stay on the road.....

I'm sure your family does see a change... working on flat rate puts some strain on the body..... gotta kick butt to turn the hours......

Just keep your head in the game and stay safe.... expect the unexpected... and don't take it personal... go home safe at night....:D

Latest posts

Back