Just a stupid question about a Z'd frame.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kouki

Ok this may be a stupid question, but when everyone says the frame is z'd 6" in the front 12" rear etc, how does everyone measure the amount of z in the frame? is it measured as the distance between the top of the lower rail and bottom of upper rail or distance from top to top?

Don't hold me as an authority on it...

Ok this may be a stupid question, but when everyone says the frame is z'd 6" in the front 12" rear etc, how does everyone measure the amount of z in the frame? is it measured as the distance between the top of the lower rail and bottom of upper rail or distance from top to top?

I'm going to teach you how to answer your own question young grasshopper

I always assumed that the amount stated was the overall change created in the rail.
But I'm a carpenter and I have a formal education in critical thinking so that's how I think... I measure any change from the same benchmark.

So if the Z causes a 12" step I'd assume that there is 12" difference between top-top or bottom-bottom. I wouldn't think that a 12" step would be from the bottom to the top...That would violate good science and good math.
Back in school they taught us that when comparing from one thing to another to use something that's common between them and to maintain measurements in the same units throughout the equation.
With the frame as an example... lets say it's a 4" rail... both ends have different elevations from the floor but both frames have a top and a bottom to that rail that are equidistant from each other=4".

if 6" plus 6" = 12" then 6" times 2= 12"
if you change units (inches,pounds,meters,etc) within the formula it makes the outcome untrue
if 6" plus 6" =12" then 6" plus 6cm= 12pounds... not true

Only a true equation answers a question

It's kinda messed up that in school they try to teach us to solve math word problems without teaching us critical thinking first. Critical thinking is philosophy... Math is an extension of critical thinking. It's alot easier to learn the Philosophy then how to use it instead of trying to teach someone to use something they don't know what the hell it is or is supposed to do lol

It's like saying "Here kid...take this here hammer and pound on this nail, now your educated..." without ever telling the kid what a nail does or what you use it for.
Then the kid grows up, becomes a carpenter and says Oh yeah...why the hell didn't they just say that... I could have figured out how to hit that nail right if they just would have told me it's supposed to hold wood together...if they would have showed me one end is for the wood and the other end is for the hammer.... If they would have showed me how the tip of a nail is sharp on 2 of the 4 edges of it's point to either cut the grain or split the grain and why that's important... I could have had a scholarship.
But then again they weren't even teaching me how to look for myself they were teaching me to listen to them and how to ignore my own senses.
Maybe the dang teacher didn't even know...
anyway...

Measuring the step in the Z of the frame is an analysis (of the frame)

Analysis is a comparison.

You are comparing the unknown (amount of step in the frame) to known units of measure (inches?) that you already know and understand.

And because it is a comparison, every accurate analysis must maintain common logical benchmarks or there is no logical junction of comparison.
We connect things in our minds this way. We understand everything in how it connects to other things and to ourselves.

In the basic human mind...Anything that we cannot connect to ourselves in some way through our senses remains a mystery, there is no way to describe those things.
As your mind develops you will grow the mental vocabulary and ability to compare things that are not in any way connected to you.
A mind is only as developed or as accurate as the language it speaks in.

A benchmark is simply one thing that all things being compared (within the analysis) have in common. If you can connect them in this way. you can describe how they relate to each other.

P.S. a really good book if you like to read is MATHEMATICS FOR THE NON MATHEMATICIAN.
The author begins with the concept of the number one and takes you on a journey of history and philosophy through the ages that fills you with an understanding of what math really is and what it can do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back