JUST an idea or a rat rod--

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORVIL

sorry guys that i havent been around- fixin up the house . so - i have an 81 Dodge pu and a Intrepid - i want to put the Intrepid engine in the back of the PU. ad leave the box on. and the ut the roof off of the PU and leave the winshield intact. box in the old engine bay for the trunck and then paint. and only use it for a summer truck -SO WHAT SAY YOU- good idea or not. Thx Orv-- et me know on the forum or pm me plz. also anyone here from Ontario Canada?:)

Well, it's probably a bad idea, but why let that stop you? :D After you battle the rear engine thing, the steering is probably gonna need major adjustment - no weight in the front end and all. Not sure I'm too excited about the cut off top though - cut pickups usually wind up looking kinda unbalanced IMO.

As long as you can afford to ruin the two vehicles and you have the time, what do you have to loose? At the very least, you can consider it a learning experience.

I have done a lot of projects that fall into the "just because you can doesn't mean you should" category. Nowdays my energy and resources keep me a little closer to something that will be salable when the time comes. I think if you are going to do it, get 2 Insipids and put an engine in each end.

I think you'd be better off using both of them as donors for another project. Late model experiments like your describing don't often turn out as well as hoped for. There's nothing wrong with wanting something unconventional I just think you could put parts from both of them to better use.

I know I'll probably get hammered by the "build what you want" proponents out there but you asked for opinions, and so here they are.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thunder

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of work, but there must be a reason your looking at trying something like this. Convertible truck I can see, but leaving your engine in the front would make it a much easier project to complete. And yes, I'm in Ontario. Sniper

Figure out your rear suspension before you start cutting.
I think the Interpid uses struts.

Personally, I would rather put the time and energy into something else. JMHO.

Also I hear from other mechanics the Intrepid V6 has problems. Can't remember for sure what but definately a pattern failure of some sort.

We have an Intrepid and they are notorious for timing chain failure. If this happens it seizes the whole engine up. We just had the timing chain on my wifes replaced because it begain to make noise, cost $370.00.

Latest posts

Back