just found this

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joukaishou813924

someone put a radial engine into an mr2 for the Lemon 500, heres the pics

Attachments

• radial mr2-1.jpg
    radial mr2-1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 176
  • radial mr2-2.jpg
    radial mr2-2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 138
  • radial mr2-3.jpg
    radial mr2-3.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 140
  • radial mr2-4.jpg
    radial mr2-4.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 147
That is two different MR2s. The last pic is an earlier gen car than the other pics. That means there are more than one person out there who are...."not firing on their full compliment of cylinders..." ;)

that could be or they have entered the same car several times and used whatever body panels they could get their hands on.

MR2 Radial

If you go to the 24 hour of lemons website, the wacky, Ripened LeMon started his thread on 5/16/2010...the day he picked up the radial and did not have a clew what it was going into. The thread is now about 34 pages long ! There is a video link to the car running in the rain see the following.... YouTube Radial MR2 Gingerman

yeah, those are both mine.

here's a picture that explains it a bit better:

IMG_0241.jpg

the front car is mocked up (as well as we could in a few hours) to look like the real one. it was it's maiden voyage so we wanted a backup. the front one has a 2010 camry 4 cylinder in it. so there's 72 years between the production dates on both engines.

The motor runs like a top, it feels like you're strapped into an industrial paint shaker full of bolts. perhaps solid mounting a 540 cubic inch radial motor in a car wasn't the brightest idea I've ever had.

there was a relatively major break after 1 lap at the track. it's not the kind of thing that should have been noticed at the track, but i ran out of time. the whole car was built in about 3.5 months. i'm getting rid of the chain assembly for the next time out.

here it is on the 2nd firing up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc5BbgwpV4Y

the tune was so awfull there that it could not rev to it's red-line without a load at full throttle. best it could do was about 1700RPMs (redline is 1875)

and here is evidence that it made it to the race track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDWlx-rZxmc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpWtFJ-W8X0

anyways, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

and yes, i do have the intention to put plates on this thing and drive it around town a bit.

yeah, those are both mine.

anyways, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

and yes, i do have the intention to put plates on this thing and drive it around town a bit.

Anybody who builds anything like this deserves a big pat on the back from me. [cl [dr

I love this sort of thing, and I'd be building something like it too if I had a source of a decent motor. I like big V's, but a radial is a series of V's too. :D

There's a guy in Poland (I think) who put one in the back of some small car, built his own gearbox and everything.

Anybody who builds anything like this deserves a big pat on the back from me. [cl [dr

I love this sort of thing, and I'd be building something like it too if I had a source of a decent motor. I like big V's, but a radial is a series of V's too. :D

There's a guy in Poland (I think) who put one in the back of some small car, built his own gearbox and everything.

yeah, he was my inspiration. if you search youtube for goggomobil radial you'll find them

using an MR2 to put this in was a bit of a surprise to me i was expecting old american iron to have a much bigger engine bay, but the 2nd gen MR2 had the biggest engine bay i could find. keep in mind that width between the rails was a big factor. the motor is 43" in diameter.

old V's are neat also but it's hard to beat the look and sound of a big displacement radial engine.

Latest posts

Back