just some fun pix

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta ask Doc.... is this you?

attachment.php

[cl:D:D:D

The first time I became aware of the 'Canadian tuxedo', my cousin and I were in England looking up our relatives. We were to meet a Great Uncle and had no idea what he looked like. Suddenly this old gentleman approached us and said " My, my, you must be the Canadian boys". We looked at him, confused, what was the give-a-way. He said, "The blue jeans and jean jackets give you away". The whole rest of the world knew that Canadians wore the 'Canadian tuxedo', except a few of us Canadians. Well, I'm smarter now, Thank You, Uncle Lawrence.

Another great bundle of pics, mav. [cl

hes not denying he had the Canadian tuxedo;)

Not for a minute. :p

The first time I became aware of the 'Canadian tuxedo', my cousin and I were in England looking up our relatives. We were to meet a Great Uncle and had no idea what he looked like. Suddenly this old gentleman approached us and said " My, my, you must be the Canadian boys". We looked at him, confused, what was the give-a-way. He said, "The blue jeans and jean jackets give you away". The whole rest of the world knew that Canadians wore the 'Canadian tuxedo', except a few of us Canadians. Well, I'm smarter now, Thank You, Uncle Lawrence.

Good story, Mac.

Now, to suck all the fun and life out it, some history...

Canadian Tuxedo

"Despite its un-classy reputation, it all began with an upscale Vancouver hotel and singer Bing Crosby. You may know Crosby best these days as the singer behind many classic Christmas tunes. But in the 1940s, he was at the top of his game, alongside Frank Sinatra.

So in 1951, Crosby visited Vancouver, a place he was known to love. The mayor at the time, George Miller, had even given the singer a key to the city in 1948. It was in the shape of Vancouver’s skyline.

As loved as the musician was, however, Crosby was apparently not recognizable to everyone. When he tried to check in at the Hotel Vancouver, his attire caused him some grief. The hotel clerk would not allow Crosby in, because of his denim-on-denim Levi’s outfit. It was considered too casual for the hotel, and the clerk later said the man “looked like a bum.” A bellhop recognized Crosby, however, and allowed him in, but not without some embarrassment for the hotel.

When Levi’s heard of the situation, its designers immediately created a custom-made jean tuxedo for the singer. The outfit featured a tuxedo-style jacket, complete with a corsage and a patch, reading, “Notice to Hotel Men.”

attachment.php

The brand dubbed it the “Canadian Tuxedo” and it became Crosby’s signature look. He wore it that year to promote his film, Here Comes the Groom.

The clerk who originally denied Crosby became famous, too, and earned himself a backstage pass to a Hollywood filming. Crosby’s rival, Bob Hope, had invited the clerk onto his set, saying, “anybody who can spot a real bum like that deserves some kind of recognition.”

The look has taken many shapes since, but it remains a tribute to Canadian roots."

Attachments

• Canadian Tuxedo.jpeg
    Canadian Tuxedo.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 68

Latest posts

Back