Keeping it cool

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes

I could share a lot of info on this subject

We have had lots of issues with our cooling system on RVS FLO.

Personally I like the deal on 713 c Salt Lake throttlers

Somebody wants to put pictures I will help with technical info.

First issue is to pick a engine set up with least amount of waste heat.

rear cooling

yes i have a few years back, on my old home built roadster, it was running a 71 small block chevy i mounted the radiator on a 30 degree angle behind the rear axle.

funny enough i used a waterpump that was made for a 88 vortec 4.3 motor

i bought the water pump from a site on the web that sells upgrade conversions to run 4.3 v-6 's in the rear engine fiero's (if you recall these cars they had small 4 bangers or v-6 engines in the rear and radiators in the front,)

anyway, ran one 13 inch electric fan and 1.5 diam, aluminized exhaust pipe from motor to radiator in rear of car. car held 5 gallons of coolant.....

ran steady temps all day for a year till i sold it in 2003 prolly still going strong.

hope this helps. dp1

Thanks for posting 713 C pictures.

That was the mentor car that inspired us to build RVS FLO. I know theres other pictures of RVS FLO on this site. Might be cool to show then side by side.

His craftsman ship is definitely superior to mine but then again I never claimed to be anything more than a engine guy.

His radiator must be huge as flatheads running on gasoline are probably more efficient as a furnace than as a prime mover.

keeping it cool

thanks guys, i'm runing a 350 sbc will the water pump on it work? and wondered if I could use hose for the line?P.S if I ever figure out the pic thing I will post them right now it is on photobucket under deserthotrods chip...

I got the radiator in the back of mine. I built a tall tunnel console through the cab to get as much air back there as possible. The electric fan is a swap meet special. I've got probably a hundred miles on it so far and it is colder out but I haven't had any trouble so far. Even on the longest drives its only hit 190. The radiator is out of a full size 80's Buick so I hope the size will make up for the location.

Attachments

• Rat Rod 003.jpg
    Rat Rod 003.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Rat Rod 006.jpg
    Rat Rod 006.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Rat Rod 007.jpg
    Rat Rod 007.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 13
Doom

Got to give you big points on novelty with your rig. Would love to see some pictures of the tunnel details.

Now my worst situation is coming up to a stop sign when you get what I call the Hot Soak. That means you have to disipate the heat from say the last minute of travel. Be interesting to see how that works out for you.

Now I see another common problem with rear mount radiators and that is you end up with stagnant air cause the Cab essentially forms a vacuum when you roll down the road

You ever notice how a womans hair points forward when she rides in a convertible? Same thing happens in your radiator and even though you have a fan you are just recirculating hot air that already went through the radiator.

You could just tie some streamers to the radiator and areas around the radiator to monitor this effect on your truck.

Hope this information is of use to you

Latest posts

Back