Keeping the Top End in Check

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFast1

anyone else use stud girdles on a small block chevy? was I wrong to use 7/16 studs and girdles?
watched somewhere I think it was on Dart website a guy rolled through with a breaker bar and the stud flexed .014

I've always used studs and girdles on every engine that has anything more than stock parts.
The bigger the better when it comes to studs.
The girdles add to the stability of the valve train especially the higher you go with valve spring pressures and higher rpm.
Shaft rockers are the ultimate for that simple reason.

Never used them on the valve train, but they must do something good because I see all the hard core motors using them.

never used them on a street motor, but have on race motors. that's like a rev kit, no reason on street, but great on race motors. now if i was running a solid roller motor it would have all the above.

Would like to rant a little!

I use them on everything I build, like some of you guys i'm an old racer, so what the hell use what ya got laying around.
now for the rant! I bought a set of pro comp 210's that is based on a .200 raised runner chevy head, bought the bare castings, ported them to a 1266 gasket, manley valves, comp springs and retainer & locks, guy shows up at the shop and throws off on my chinese heads! Now mind you I have a Howards Crank, Callies H beam rods, with a Lunati roller cam in the bottom end. in the next gasp of air told me I should have used Eagle or Scat in the bottom! I wanted to Smack the crap outta him! I did ask him to leave pronto!
And 26Troadster I haven't even saw a Isky rev kit since 1980 but do remember them!

Latest posts

Back