Keg tank the boys Go Kart

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountain

I thought I would come the only place I think would accept "modifying" go carts with rat rod tricks. I just picked up a Manco Scorpion go cart for my son and I am already tired of filling the little gas tank on it. So I thought I would take an old aluminum 1/4 Keg (empty already for those about to ask) and turn it into a gravity fed gas tank. Has anyone made this mod? I have done some research on the web and come up with some idea of what needs done. I read about just getting some aluminum threaded pipe and using a cap, but wouldn't it be better to have a vented gas cap? I have been looking for a filler tube I can have welded right on and also running a clear tube from top to bottom of the side for a visual gauge. Looking for some tips and pics if you got any. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• Go Kart Manco.jpg
    Go Kart Manco.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 58
You need to have some type of vent for the tank. Also some of those Karts have a cheesy vac diaphragm pump attached to the bottom of the stock tank. Believe to or not they work. If you have this there will be two hoses running to the tank.

Yeppers there are 2 hoses thatrun to the tank, It is one of those 6.5 Subaru Robin engines. They are supposed to be pretty good engines. I hope this will work then! Thanks for the post

So I was cleaning up the Keg last night and noticed that it is stamped "Firestone steel" I guess it is not an aluminum tanks after all. Now I have to figure out what I am going to use for a filler cap and neck.
Thanks!

Yeppers there are 2 hoses thatrun to the tank, It is one of those 6.5 Subaru Robin engines. They are supposed to be pretty good engines. I hope this will work then! Thanks for the post

Yeah, they are pretty good engines. If you really want to make that thing sing, find a motor off an outlaw kart. My son ran the little gem below till we moved over to running an Ital asphalt kart.

We had one of those, but the one we had didn't have a live axle, only drove one wheel. I was always thinking I would convert it to run an axle off the race kart, never got around to it.

That is hot. I have been making my son do the work himself, only one way into the hot rod world and it is with bloody knucks and extra parts :cool:

That is hot. I have been making my son do the work himself, only one way into the hot rod world and it is with bloody knucks and extra parts :cool:

Yep. My son has learned alot about mechanics from this little adventure. He has gotten used to trying to fix things, knows what the names of the different wrenches are. And he has learned alot about how the internals of a motor work when he broke a rod in one motor, so we tore what was left of it down.

It blew up good....

These karts taught him really good car control over the three years we ran them... He is doing really well now on pavement. We have two karts put together now so we will see if I am able to keep up with him now....

Latest posts

Back