Keg type gas tank

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SapperJoe

I know it has been done, and even discussed on this forum, but I am thinking about doing this in my 49 Coronet build. I was thinking about going a step further and instead of making it just a keg sitting in the back (strapped down of course) I thought it would be cool to run the lines like a moonshine still. So it would sort of spiral out of the tank then head up front. I also like the idea of the old wooden cask looking tank or something similar. Figured maybe set up the tank, and build a wooden casing for it. The tank will sit in the trunk, instead of underneath, but I plan on building a firewall between the trunk and cab, as well as redoing the floor.

Reading some other posts, if I make a tank, I have to make sure it is lower than the carb, or else install a cut-off valve, correct? And do I only need one line going to the carb, with no return? Anything else I need to keep in mind?

If you make a big coil be careful of metal fatigue from the line flexing.The tank being higher than carb, a cut off is if you need to disconnect the line all your gas wont run out.One line will work if the fuel pump is a single line.You will need some sort of vent for the tank too either in the cap or external.

Cool that helps a lot, If I do the coil idea, i will be sure to bend it with a brake line bender. Thanks for your help!

Make the coiled line your vent, and draw fuel from the bottom of the tank. If your tubing is soft enough, just wrap it around a (full) beer can to make a coil.

I want to do something like that for my car. but i want to use a elbow on the bottom and top with a glass tube running from elbow to elbo to see how much fuel is in it.

I want to do something like that for my car. but i want to use a elbow on the bottom and top with a glass tube running from elbow to elbo to see how much fuel is in it.

Like this?

136635d1283326960-fuel-sight-gauge-sight_glass.jpg

When I built this tank, I put in the ports for a glass tube, but after we broke several of them puting them in we put that part of the project on hold.
PC090046.jpg

I use clear fuel line stretched tight and straight on those type of sight gauges. It doesn't look or stay as nice as glass, but it doesn't break either.

Outside glass guage

Check with the local trucking and hydralic suppliers,we use the glass ones on fuel and hydralic tanks.They are made round tube or round tube incased in aluminum frame which would look better on the keg. Also are used on the older allision transmissions as site guages.:cool:

Check with the local trucking and hydralic suppliers,we use the glass ones on fuel and hydralic tanks.They are made round tube or round tube incased in aluminum frame which would look better on the keg. Also are used on the older allision transmissions as site guages.:cool:

Thanks i'll keep that in mind.

Oh sorry to the oringal poster about hi jacking

Latest posts

Back