Kudos to Unisteer

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzford

Loxahatchee, FL in the West Palm Beach area
I recently replaced the Flaming River Vega steering box on my coupe with a Unisteer rack and pinion unit. The Vega box had approximently 10,000 miles on it and would not hold an adjustment. It kept loosening up. I adjusted it and within a couple of hundred miles it would develop significant play. I sure did not want to replace it with another Vega box. I researched the Unisteer package and found that the only negative reactions were that it didn't steer as tight a radius as the Vega set up would. I went a head and bought one and installed it. It is GREAT! my car was always hard to steer unless it was moving. The Unisteer helped that a lot. Mind you, it isn't power steering, but now my wife could drive it. On the road, there is NO wandering whatso ever. There is no play in the wheel and I rarely have to corrrect steering. If there is a reduction in turning radius, I didn't see it in my car. I LOVE this thing! I had not been driving the car much anymore as it just wasn't fun, but since the conversion, the car is rarely in the garage. I know that some of you hardcore traditionalists might fault me, but I'll take this steering any day. If you are in the building stages of a car, my recommendation is to go with the Unisteer over the Vega box. If your Vega box is worn out, replace it with a Unisteer. You won't be disappointed. NO, I am not getting paid for this endorsment, I am just that pleased with their product.

Seems like the quality of Flaming River Vega boxes
has dropped significantly in the last few years.

Glad you found something decent.

Time for Flaming River to wake up.

I've seen the Unisteer system on a few cars and wondered if they worked well. I guess I know now. Thanks for the report zzford.

Latest posts

Back