Large Rear End Housing

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1lapdown

I remember seeing a rear end housing on a street rod a few years back that was very large. Bigger than a Ford 9". I believe the owner told me it was from an Oldsmobile or Buick. From the back of the car the diameter of the housing looked great and dominated the view. I haven't been able to find one on ebay, not knowing what it was out of didn't help. Does anyone out there have an idea?

Early '50's Olds rears are big. They were the one to use before the 9" Ford came along. I think they handled power better, but are hard to find parts for now.

I agree on the Olds. All the old drag cars used them before the 9' because they could handle the abuse. Buick does have a large center section but not as widely used and hard to find posi units. I'm current looking for a posi for a 55-63 housing thats posi . Found a couple in the $1000 range!

Wouldn't shipping be prohibitive if you found one on ebay? Probably why there aren't any on there.
I'm not sure what years are desirable. I sent a 1958 98 to the crusher with one in it this year, couldn't seem to get any interest in it.

Have you looked at the Dana 60? Bigger and stronger than a 9" and a lot less expensive to build. A lot less expensive!

You can build a bullet proof Dana 60 for less than a $1000.

size mattered when I was younger but now I like a good ride and unsprung weight comes into play. I have never run slicks so never needed the biggest heaviest rear end. Ford 8" and the new(?) 8.8" are good strong units with a wide gear selection.

I have a few of the 8.8 ford rears out of cop cars saved back. They are ok til you build decent power and try to make them hook up. Then they need a gertle style cover on the bearing caps.

Hey, hey, hey........I DO NOT have a large rear end. I am just big boned. :D

fat_guy_motorcycle2.jpg

The question that comes to my mind is, why do you want that particular rear end ? Large does not necessarily mean better or stronger. Plus, you will be dealing with a very expensive rear end to build and gear ratios are not cheap or plentiful either.

There is a reason the Ford 9 incher has become probably the most popular hot rod rear, and the 8 incher is probably a close second. Another downside of a big old rear end is unsprung weight, which affects the ride quality of a car.

Don

Latest posts

Back