larger rims ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

49bourbon

I have a 1946 Dodge truck that I am installing onto a 1983 El Camino frame. Lots of fab work to do yet for body mounts, etc. but with a loose mock up it all fits. It currently has 15" rims with 5 X 4 3/4 bolt circle. I'd like to go to 16" rims to fill out wheel well and get larger tire. Can anyone point me to a Chevy make and model that I can source the rims?

Rims

Yes just plain steel rims so that they can be painted. Trying to do a pick a part junkyard specials.

Might be hard to find Steelies in 16's....

Most of the late model stuff has alloy wheels if they are 16 17 or 18's....check and see if the newer Chevy impala cop car has 16's or 17's....I'd bet they would be 16 or 17 inch....only downfall might be the front wheel drive crap.....Crown vic's / interceptors have steelies in 16 up to 06 and 17's up to 2011's...but they are 4.5 bolt pattern...adapters?????

Don't hold me to it, but I believe steel 16's on a 5 x 4.75 pattern came only on Camaros and Firechickens (Firebirds) '96 and possibly some older models. Of course most of those came with alloys too, so they won't be easy to find. Another drawback is the ugly style and positive offset like these...

stl08017u.jpg

Larger rims

Thanks guys. My research has come up with zip also so may have to live with 15" and play with tire sizes. Ill go look at camsro and firebirds next time I go junking.

16" may be hard to come by if not custom, here is a list of 5 on 4 3/4 I have.

5 on 4-3/4 (120.6 mm)
Buick - Regal, Century, Special (most mid-size) '64-'80's
Chevy van some older G10
Chevrolet - all (exc. as noted elsewhere) '49-'89
Corvette all
Corvair '65-'69 5-bolt
GM compact and midsize
Oldsmobile - 442, Cutlass, F-85, Toronado
(most mid-size) '60's-'80's
Pontiac - GTO, LeMans, Firebird, Grand Prix
(mid size) '64-'80's

This has been discussed several times on here. GM did NOT make a 16" plain steel wheel with the 4.75" bolt circle! No such animal. You will have to go aftermarket if that's what you want.

Larger rims

Ok Thanks guys. I knew I couldn't find any but wanted to check the gurus. I'll live with the originals for now.

Latest posts

Back