Lead Sled? Rat Truck? What the hell is it?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool, I want to see more.

You asked for it...

img00005200912311312.jpg

img00011200912311314.jpg

img00010200912311313.jpg

That's all the more I have for now. Once I get it in the garage, the progress & pics will continue!

I think it was a sedan, when I looked at the area between the tail light and the truck bed, the body line curved forward like a trunk lid would have. If it were a wagon, that body line would have been closer to straight up. Good thought though!

That car/truck is Awesome!I have to build me one of those.Thanks for showing us new ride. [cl

Sure! Glad you enjoyed it.

One more thing about bags - when your looking info up on the net, most of it is geared toward the guys that want to bounce or 'hit the switches' a lot, not the guy that just wants to raise and lower once in awhile. If you get serious about bags, I'll be happy to relay what I learned doing my project.

here a 55 handyman wagon we did bout a year or so ago! catchs alot of attention at shows, might give ya some ideas!

Attachments

• DSC00416.JPG
    DSC00416.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC00417.JPG
    DSC00417.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 73
One more thing about bags - when your looking info up on the net, most of it is geared toward the guys that want to bounce or 'hit the switches' a lot, not the guy that just wants to raise and lower once in awhile. If you get serious about bags, I'll be happy to relay what I learned doing my project.

Bags will have to be after I get it cleaned up and running, I'll start a new Suspension thread at that point and would love to have your input on bagging this one. In the meantime, I'll check out your build thread for ideas. Thanks for the offer!

here a 55 handyman wagon we did bout a year or so ago! catchs alot of attention at shows, might give ya some ideas!

Looks great, very clean. Thanks for sharing, it does get the wheels turning!

the only thing Id do that hasn't been discussed is weld in the rear door gaps. they just bug me for some reason.

i was going to say the same thing then bag it flat black it with steel wheels and some coker wide whites

Perhaps down the road if I get bored with the rust and patina I will go that direction... for now, I love the paint and rust. Even the wheels have a neat little stripe painted around them that I'd like to leave. It will get some wide whites for sure though.

Last edited:
The one thing that looks way out of wack (besides the bed stuffed in the trunk ;)) is the trim on the doors - the cab back and sides don't blend well. Remove the chrome trim from around the side windows and it'll look a lot less glued together. Might need to do something about the drip rail too.

So you know about Yorks then. I've seen pics of guys using mostly copper tube and lever valves for controls. Doubt semi bags would work - but a new set of 4 Slams are about 300$. Not cheap, but quality.

Really like the spare tire carrier - looking at the pics again and that thing is a trip! Man I wish I had one now.

The oval rear window looks kinda "odd" to me...maybe cut one out of a 55-59 Chevy halfton. Grab the stainless rear cab trim as well and work it up to wrap around the new "rear cab.";)

Dude, this car ROCKS! I really like the proportions of it overall-I'm even diggin' on that side mounted spare!

Thanks for taking the time to share your pics.[P

Regards,
Shea:)

so what is it???

wow, that is so ......hmmmm...not sure what to say..but as a kid in the 1960's and 1970's guys who needed a truck but only had a smelly old family sedan, they built what they needed. You look around and most of the handmade trucks are disappearing quickly. I remember my dad tellin me about a Packard sedan his dad made into a tow truck for his gas station business (back in the 1940's). If that car/truck that you have could only talk....probably tell us a great story or two...enjoy it..:))))..that is old school Americana at it best....no foreign stuff there...

A truly unique custom, that desevers its day in the sun. I say make it road worthy and enjoy the converations it brings. Great Patina and hel you may come across who built it some day.

Latest posts

Back